Video about Fram shows "moisture" inside filters....

I just looked in my Fram PH7317 and yes it's there. Looks to have the consistency of "3 in One oil".

Good God. Look! Another idiot who doesn't know his keister from crab grass on You Tube.

Listen, I enjoy YT as much as the next fat person. Anvil launching, gold and silver recovery - heck even roadside Pt/Pd recovery. I love log milling for some odd reason. Better than biased BS TV. Some fun and SOME scientific ENTERTAINMENT. But to listen all the way through.............this guy is about as scientific as my 16 year old dog humping my tom cat.

I remember somewhere one or more of the manufacturers adding a small amount of anti-rust compound.

PS FTR: I actual am OK with the engineered fiber end caps. To simply call them "paper" is not proper, especially when using the term to denigrate the product.

Last edited:
It does beg the question why Fram seems to be the only manufacturer to apply this supposed anti-rust compound. And also, I've never liked the paper end caps. This Fram filter is a budget filter.

Understand, I'm not a Fram hater. I run a Fram Ultra on my Honda and have full confidence in it. But if the only filter Fram offered was this basic orange one, I'd choose another brand; Honda Filtech A01 (that I ran for years) or Mobil 1 or Wix.

Agree with Pablo that this video was far from "scientific". But it does show a budget filter compared to higher quality filters - and the difference shows.

Scott

My bet is that it's an anti-corrosion fluid. If you leave a new oil filter sit on the shelf long enough, you will see the internals starting to rust. The Youtube creator doesn't realize if the liquid he sees in the filter was water, the steel internals would be extremely rusted. Try it yourself, take a raw piece of steel and put water on it and leave it sit. It only takes hours to days for the rust to start showing.

The fact that Fram filters have anti corrosion on the internals is yet another reason to buy them.

Being kind, a relatively useless filter comparison video. The "moisture" as noted an anti rust liquid, something similar to a light weight oil, 'like' 3M. Harmless. This from one who chooses to use only the XG from the Fram lineup.

The yt creator also doesn't understand and/or recognize all filter bypass types, ie., the MC filter.

So, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Shouldn't quit his day job.

Last edited:
My bet is that it's an anti-corrosion fluid. If you leave a new oil filter sit on the shelf long enough, you will see the internals starting to rust. The Youtube creator doesn't realize if the liquid he sees in the filter was water, the steel internals would be extremely rusted. Try it yourself, take a raw piece of steel and put water on it and leave it sit. It only takes hours to days for the rust to start showing.

The fact that Fram filters have anti corrosion on the internals is yet another reason to buy them.
That's what I thought....He just says "moisture" in the video... I have to go check one out....It does look like silicone or something similar and I would bet it would also smell like silicone... Yes he is comparing Fram's entry level to a premium ones.... How could the anti drain back valve on the Fram be low quality materialas it looks identical to the other too. I tip my hat to Fram Silicone anti drain back vales in all the filters now even in their (value) Core line..

And by posting this here, it gets more views, and he gets more revenue, and more views, and more Fram haters.
Just don't watch the video.

It does beg the question why Fram seems to be the only manufacturer to apply this supposed anti-rust compound. And also, I've never liked the paper end caps. This Fram filter is a budget filter.

Understand, I'm not a Fram hater. I run a Fram Ultra on my Honda and have full confidence in it. But if the only filter Fram offered was this basic orange one, I'd choose another brand; Honda Filtech A01 (that I ran for years) or Mobil 1 or Wix.

Agree with Pablo that this video was far from "scientific". But it does show a budget filter compared to higher quality filters - and the difference shows.

Scott
They are not the only one that adds an anti rust compound. If not, the inside of filters would look like this:
full-4879-8773-13.jpg

And please explain to me how "paper" endcaps are a problem but weaker "paper" media is not?

I think the Mobil 1 filters look wet inside. I always assumed it was a light oil to prevent rust. If that was really water in there they would be rusted all to heck.

So, not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Shouldn't quit his day job.

Honestly I would not be surprised if this guy generates enough revenue from YouTube to have it as his primary, if not only, source of income. It doesn't matter if he posts videos based on misinformation or even disinformation, as long as he is getting views, likes, comments, and subscriptions he is getting paid. Based on his following I would say he is making more money than most might think. He is nothing more than a circus carnie trying to get you to play his game so that he can get paid.

SOAPBOX: There is something to be said about a prevailing attitude commonly seen among internet users where negativity is perceived as honesty versus positivity perceived as bias.

Somewhere in these forums Jay Buckley told us that the liquid was a light oil for anti rust. Jay Buckley was the previous product technical director at Fram (I believe that was his correct title). He now works for Dayco, I hope he will return here some day.

I wish we could gather all of info Jay told us throughout the years and create a sticky. It would help put a lot of myths to rest.

Honestly I would not be surprised if this guy generates enough revenue from YouTube to have it as his primary, if not only, source of income. It doesn't matter if he posts videos based on misinformation or even disinformation, as long as he is getting views, likes, comments, and subscriptions he is getting paid. Based on his following I would say he is making more money than most might think. He is nothing more than a circus carnie trying to get you to play his game so that he can get paid.

SOAPBOX: There is something to be said about a prevailing attitude commonly seen among internet users where negativity is perceived as honesty versus positivity perceived as bias.
The ironic bit is they have some filters...........certain firearm, certain viewpoints, etc are screened and banned.

And by posting this here, it gets more views, and he gets more revenue, and more views, and more Fram haters.
Just don't watch the video.

They are not the only one that adds an anti rust compound. If not, the inside of filters would look like this:
full-4879-8773-13.jpg

And please explain to me how "paper" endcaps are a problem but weaker "paper" media is
I'm not a Fram hater. I use the Ultras in my Honda but I choose not to run their basic orange can. A C&P of those two Fram filters shows a radically different level of quality.

Tell me why I wouldn't want to run the Ultra compared to the basic orange can with its paper end caps?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...17-cut-open-and-compared.284631/#post-4680139

Question for you, why do you think the inside of that filter can only rusted halfway?

Scott

Last edited:
The ironic bit is they have some filters...........certain firearm, certain viewpoints, etc are screened and banned.

Not to get too far off track with this as an aside but yes I agree that it is absurd with what YouTube has gone out of their way to censor in recent times yet there is no accountability for 🐂💩 like what Mr. Nate posts on his channel.

Strange times we're living in...

Is this the same guy that cut open one with a grinding wheel and said oh look rust and metal shavings are in here this is a bad filter?

YUP! Same yokel that titles most of his videos with negative inference like, "I can't believe what was inside (name brand filter" or "DO NOT USE this product!"

All very clickbaity and in his videos he his constantly egging on the viewers to comment and argue with him as well as subscribe of course.

It's like arguing with someone who says, "Water is not wet, change my mind!"

Last edited:
Back