Victory 20w-40, 4508 miles in a Cross Country Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice report Robster ... Viscosity held up really well for the mileage, I expect that to happen when the Viscosity range is smaller in the 20/40 vs 10/40 vs god forbid a 5/40.

Im sure its no secrete to Victory, Yamaha used to offer it just a few short years ago. One thing they also have in common is to offer a syn blend over a straight syn, there are reasons for this. As well as Mercury Marine.

Anyway, great report

on the white papers Vic oil placed 4th, pretty good for a non real synthetic, but at its price it should! i use Amsoil im my 13 hammer, as i always do. very little more cost and a Wix filter $7, they make Vic filters as i noticed #'s on bottom inside were the same!!

Last edited:
Actually the engine is a 5 quart capacity but due to the oil cooler and lines you can only drain at most 4.5 quarts with a filter change.

So you are always leaving 1/2 quart of oil in the engine but it does have a full 5 quarts of oil lubricating everything.

old thread i see but having "been" an amsoil user for years it seems they too quietly went cheap for more profits. quietly not advertising their PAO base oils + changing to group III's in most cases. they will not answer any questions about current base oils + "hide" behind propriety!! i smell a dead fish! no answers because the truth is mostly group III oils or lying about it which they are too smart for! still a good product but like the old gray mayer "she ain't what she used to be" no more amsoil for me!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
old thread i see but having "been" an amsoil user for years it seems they too quietly went cheap for more profits. quietly not advertising their PAO base oils + changing to group III's in most cases. they will not answer any questions about current base oils + "hide" behind propriety!! i smell a dead fish! no answers because the truth is mostly group III oils or lying about it which they are too smart for! still a good product but like the old gray mayer "she ain't what she used to be" no more amsoil for me!!!

As syn oil became more mainstream, Amsoil did what they had to do to be competitive--not defending them, that's just what had to happen. If Amsoil is hitting the performance marks using Group 3 like most other companies, then I don't see a problem using their products--their pricing is competitive compared to other motorcycle oils.

I use the Amsoil 20w-40 because no other company I know of makes that exact weight in a full syn offering. . . Lot's of 10w-40s out there, but the 20w-40 (syn) oils are scarce.

is it better to run gear oil in a motorcycle since the final use gear or does is the gear ( instead of chain like a hd) part of the transmission?from what i can see it look like the best oil for this bike would be a allisson tes-295 ( castrol transynd) given all it has to do!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
is it better to run gear oil in a motorcycle since the final use gear or does is the gear ( instead of chain like a hd) part of the transmission?from what i can see it look like the best oil for this bike would be a allisson tes-295 ( castrol transynd) given all it has to do!

The Victory engine shares a sump with the transmission, so it uses the engine oil to lube the transmission. The final drive is belt-driven in the Victory bikes.

you can use several 15-40 HDEO's @ 1/3 the cost. Vic smartly uses a closer spread allowing decent performance from cheaper base oils + using a decent additive pack. there is NO laws governing the amount of "synthetic" usually group III highly refined CRUDE oil used in a semi syn blend + the wider the viscosity spread the more prone to breakdown a refined CRUDE oil is! with ducati's their undersized water cooling + VERY HIGH state of tune takes its tool on lubricants + their use of lighter recommended oils is for the most power + not longevity for sure!!

UPDATE: Since the original post in this thread, I've switched to Amsoil 20w-40 motorcycle oil and I immediately noticed a positive difference in shifting quality as compared to the Vic oil. I now have about 2500 miles on the Amsoil and it's still shifting much easier / quieter. Other than the shift quality I see no other differences. I'll likely to a UOA at the end of the riding season. If the UOA is comparable or better than the Vic oil, I'll likely stick with Amsoil as it ends up being cheaper than the Vic oil from the dealer.

your results confirm the closer viscosity spread is more durable, + even though amsoil 20-40 is prolly a group III refined CRUDE "synthetic" its surely better than a semi-syn with unknown amounts of "synthetic" surely group III. 20-40 is a good choice except when its colder where it flows slowly + may not start before the battery dies which happened with amsoil 20-50 in my traded sportster, 10-40 cured that + a 15-40 may as well work

Originally Posted By: benjy
your results confirm the closer viscosity spread is more durable, + even though amsoil 20-40 is prolly a group III refined CRUDE "synthetic" its surely better than a semi-syn with unknown amounts of "synthetic" surely group III. 20-40 is a good choice except when its colder where it flows slowly + may not start before the battery dies which happened with amsoil 20-50 in my traded sportster, 10-40 cured that + a 15-40 may as well work

I now have about 4,300 miles on the Amsoil, and a 4-day trip to Maine under my belt. That trip involved two, 10-hr. days of highway driving at 65-75 mph and about 1 hr. and 45 minutes of stop & go traffic (thanks Danbury, CT) in very warm conditions--the Amsoil performed great in all conditions, including start-up temps (in Maine)in the 40s. Oil consumption through this OCI has been nil. So far, Amsoil seems to be working. Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back