Victim of a hit and run—again

I despise the person that did it. I hope he’ll get what he deserves. I’ve been rear ended in my perfectly polished and coated nearly brand new civic so I know how this feels…

On a side note, this blue color is absolutely stunning. Hopefully it’ll get fixed up and look brand new.

Also, since there’s no one at fault, you probably won’t be able to get reimbursed for diminished value?
Sorry, some “person” is at fault as that didn’t just “happen”. Security cameras will tell a story

Realistically, they probably didn't even know they did it. You would have to come into the parking spot next to this blue(ish) car pretty hot to do that and somehow not hit the concrete wall in front of you. This looks like a long, slow scrape than a really old person, with no onboard sensors, would do. They were stopped in that spot, just grinding on the blue car back and forth until they decided they couldn't get in the parking spot and left. Their grandson discovered the blue horizontal stripe on their white Buick the next day...they have no idea who hit them or where it happened.

Having the resources available to me I'd buy the parts and do it myself. Keeps the insurance from possibility of going up and damage claim on the history.

I just got my first oil change for my 2021 Prius Prime Limited Blue Magnetism the day before yesterday. I always park my car away from all the other cars in the parking lots. This is what I did last night. The car was waxed, with not even a single little scratch. Today, when I opened my garage door, I was shocked to discover this.
Oh no... Hope you eventually got that guy!

Correct, this is a collision claim. UM only applies if you can confirm a under/uninsured motorist.

Fault is subjective, but any paid claim has the potential to increase your rates.
It may vary by state/coverage, but when I inquired about it, my insurance company (State Farm) said it would only cover bodily injuries to me/passengers, nothing on my vehicle, even with confirmation. Thankfully, while the driver who pulled out in front of me was unlicensed and themselves uninsured, the owner of the car had insurance and that insurance paid for my vehicle. Not really to my satisfaction, but they were quick, probably because they didn't want me to get any ideas. I should have gone full medical + lawyer on them as is tradition in Alabama and milked their insurance, but I don't have the time or energy for that, and just don't feel comfortable doing it. I was encouraged to many times because that's just what people do here. Anyway, I'm more mad about losing the vehicle than the payout, but there was no way to make that truck right again. Not sure how it would have played out in a stolen car situation or something like that. The owner of the car that is pulled out in front of me apparently admitted to allowing the uninsured/unlicensed to drive it.

The body shops seem to be a big pain, and I am considering doing this job myself, which is replacing the bumper covers and lamp with new ones, except for painting the unpainted bumper. That would save me the $500 deductible, and I would likely have almost no out-of-pocket cost.

This is where they hit my car. You can see the broken pieces of my rear left combination turn signal. You can also see my aqua-colored car in the background, hopefully parked in a safer spot. There is a divider in the foreground not seen in the photograph, which is the same as the divider in the background. There are three rows of tandem spots between the two dividers, and I was in the middle spot parked head-in.

When I was taking the pictures, several cars drove just by me as if these spots were a driveway. Therefore, it is quite possible that the car that hit me was trying to drive through the spot next to me. They could also have thought that this was a driveway and I was blocking it and vandalized my car with their old car or truck in anger. Ironically, there is a driveway right next to the divider in the foreground not seen in the photograph. These are crazy times in the pandemic and postpandemic area. It is a good idea in hindsight to avoid parking spots that could be used or mistaken as a driveway.

It's unlikely that I will ever run into the perpetrator, even though I go there three nights a week.

7gAW_bxNIzrI5nwMaruWWzyksxq2gZ-Dc1Ou9Ijurwy2FE-JEvHoE-XbcBFSoIyK4VQ9olAK_7Fr7oYj9Db0PTwAbH34dPdxkvIp06YOdd9e4H-DBxo7V9tzb2bcERIZ_Rulloryk-86bFQsU1x15v18DTSDHroJAGJu0md8BYI9A00iZPttlbT9Z8xJKHD_JxpCXnKVeYq3e0B9x6idx3ElPd6W6JLVh-2NKZreRN5EYrqTtG8alOvl3eaUsTc5PGDLYai8-1uwiDjwPjjmR7-zapdyeuVNH_Nypra9EFE1Ywqjm_iKIT1QIjdIRLehjrRUrSOlV0ZWIW-Eo9T1ki85qd_93X6QTFYwa0jD0ilbYpMbOeNYE_th-HiZxvwSoSZrgZJZ1yMR9-kJIvSQQen3KNBmNDzCnwXj9tLwu6i6nPJdigRv5DBFu6hREMsoIVFmPJOjeqrJleYU5mPWBrrtSDF8KYSs2ILLKVBM7e060-N20OUUAK0nRdvzN4kRq8CSQM7mFM_Yx8wHPqyttoX8PZuSnThpKoahRH-UUbRQTSQXZT7q1nnu5E2wbIS0XnwlBaCfiq5RT09GsNRpCbeOrMJwH-KuYjGd7zDofLihybWcRVnrig1Qv3vTGFO58ESw6L2D7VI_5dX055Ocw2LJoYUYhifk963j-N5-En0ypohDdkHdx-72u3AkQppDdUL0gyM5-2FZjQuvIfinMl7e=w2880-h2160-no

Last edited:
I never park where there is major traffic in the parking lot going on.

Back