Vicosity grade for Honda Timing Chain Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
What's the best fully syn oil for Honda Timing Chain Engine and extended OCI. Is the BMW LL01 0W-40 oil good for Honda Engine. Any comments please.

My honda element has a timing chain and recommends 5-20. I used that for the first 25k or more but have found that either 0-30 or 5-30 ck seems to make it run smoother and quieter. Your in asia so im not really sure but my guess would be some sort of super thick oil is the reccomended. Youd be fine with 0-40 if thats all you could find. Where in asia are you? How hot is it there? What car is this for?

My Q45 4.5 liter DOHC Alloy V8 with timing chain motor runs like new at 227,000 miles using Redline oil at 5-7K change intervals.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
My Q45 4.5 liter DOHC Alloy V8 with timing chain motor runs like new at 227,000 miles using Redline oil at 5-7K change intervals.

And your viscosity is?

Last edited:
Hot & Humid weather in Singapore. It's Honda Fit 1.5 Vtec, manual called for 0W-20 but am skeptical the vicosity is too thin. Changing to 0w-40 may affect fuel economy so what do you think.

hmmm, not sure. The thickest I've had in my E was 10-30 and that started like shi! but ran very smooth whan at operating temp. The 40 just seems thick to me but what do I know! If thats all you can find and its super hot I guess thats ok but if it were me I'd just use a 5-30 and call it a day.

LOL! I'm using 5W20 in my fit 1.5.

If you cannot find 0W20, try 5W20 or 5W30.

BTW: Honda engines luv lower viscosity grade oil, so don't be silly and dump 15W40 into it just like you did to Proton (I never consider Proton to be that "decent" of a car)

Q.

You should be looking for an oil that doesn't shear much, given your hot weather and timing chain engine.

My vote would be GC( it's 0W-30, of course ), if you can get it over there.

Originally Posted By: airwave
Hot & Humid weather in Singapore. It's Honda Fit 1.5 Vtec, manual called for 0W-20 but am skeptical the vicosity is too thin. Changing to 0w-40 may affect fuel economy so what do you think.

Be careful if you have a VVT engine if the camphaser runs off the oil pump. 5w20 or 0w20 is what I would use. Temperature means nothing in a water cooled engine. Honda engines love thin oils. BTW, 5w30 made my CRV Vtec run sluggish.

Last edited:
Honda specifies 5W-40 and 10W-30 in their Japanese literature, look it up on honda.jp - you'll need to rollover each Japanese link to find the owner's manuals.

Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: qship1996

And your viscosity is?

5w-30 in winter, 10w-30 rest of the year.

Originally Posted By: chewbacca
Use what Honda recommends, you can't go wrong. I hope you have a better quality OEM filter than we do here in the States.

Do you say that because of the fact honda only wants you to change your filter every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back