vibrations when braking above 100 kms 92 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently have been noticing some very weird vibrations in both my steering wheel and the brake pedal on my 92 Honda Accord LX when I apply the brakes going over 100kms, but when the car slows below 100 kms the ride is nice and smooth. What is going on here? Are my rotors warped in the front because they are only 3 months old, the rotors are cheap raybestos rotors with a Canadian made ceramic brake pad that I forget the name of. or is there something else?

Thanks

Last edited:
Check the torque of your lug nuts and bring them to the proper spec and see if that works first.

Last edited:
Probably warped rotors. But like charlieJ mentioned look at the simple stuff first. Is there any grinding or other noises that accompany the vibration? Cheap rotors will eventually always warp. Some faster than others. Always make sure to get the premium ones. I had this same issue on an acura.

Could be that the rotors are warped... Can be machined to fix it. Could also be that the sliders that the caliper moves back/forth on aren't moving freely so it's applying brake pressure unevenly to the Disc.

I would be more inclined to think the rotors are warped and need machining.

Hondas are very sensitive to this problem. Usually it is a matter of brakes not being bedded in properly. Essentially you have an uneven depositing of brake pad material on the disk.

Bedding the brakes back in usually solves this problem for me:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

"Uneven pad deposits on the rotor face are the number one, and almost exclusive cause of brake judder or vibration.

It only takes a small amount of thickness variation, or TV, in the transfer layer (we're only talking a few ten thousandths of an inch here) to initiate brake vibration. While the impact of an uneven transfer layer is almost imperceptible at first, as the pad starts riding the high and low spots, more and more TV will be naturally generated until the vibration is much more evident. With prolonged exposure, the high spots can become hot spots and can actually change the metallurgy of the rotor in those areas, creating �hard� spots in the rotor face that are virtually impossible to remove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
I recently have been noticing some very weird vibrations in both my steering wheel and the brake pedal on my 92 Honda Accord LX when I apply the brakes going over 100kms, but when the car slows below 100 kms the ride is nice and smooth. What is going on here? Are my rotors warped in the front because they are only 3 months old, the rotors are cheap raybestos rotors with a Canadian made ceramic brake pad that I forget the name of. or is there something else?

Thanks

Could be just excessive runout (discs, hubs, tires) and doesn't have to mean warped rotors. Nobody ever seems to check for run-out when installing new rotors.

I take off my rotors once a year and give them the sandpaper treatment. The last ones lasted 110,000 km, staying smooth operators, and were only replaced because one of the calipers had gotten stuck and totally used up one of the pads and I wanted to make everything fresh again.

Check your rear brakes as well. My rear drum brakes caused a vibration during high speed stops for the entire life. Even when I replaced them, the problem persisted. Machining the brand new Made in China drums showed they were off round by 0.020". Brakes are perfect now.

You won't be popping the rotors off a '92 Accord....
35.gif

The mounting surface must be clean.
Both the hub and the inside of the rotor must be rust and debris free. I use a little grease or anti seize on the face.
Same for the wheel side.
Work up to torque, not all at once.
My cheap rotors work fine, and were a full pound heaver [each] than the expensive ones. Extra mass is good in a rotor.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
35.gif

That's right - they are mounted behind the hub on those cars. Honda blew it on that design - I had a '90 and a '94 and hated that aspect of those cars. I have heard that you can swap out parts from an Acura CL from the late '90s to get a normal rotor-over-hub setup if you are so inclined.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
35.gif

+1 although i had it down to about 15 minutes to change front rotors out. gotta love having the proper tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back