Veterans Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shocked that I haven't seen one mention of the significance of today. I hope we have all sat back for a moment to think about and thank the millions of Americans who have offered their lives for our protection.

Thanks guys.

quote:

“A SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD”

In 1921, an American soldier—his name “known but to God”—was buried on a Virginia hillside overlooking the Potomac River and the city of Washington, DC. The burial site of this unknown World War I soldier in Arlington National Cemetery symbolized dignity and reverence for America's veterans.

Similar ceremonies occurred earlier in England and France, where an “unknown soldier” of the Great War was buried in each nation's highest place of honor (in England, Westminster Abbey; in France, the Arc de Triomphe).

These memorial gestures all took place on November 11, giving universal recognition to the celebrated ending of World War I hostilities at 11 a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month). The day became known as “Armistice Day.”

Armistice Day officially received its name in America in 1926 through a Congressional resolution. It became a national holiday 12 years later by similar Congressional action. If World War I had indeed been “the war to end all wars,” November 11 might still be called Armistice Day. But in 1939, World War II broke out in Europe and shattered that dream. Of the 16 million Americans who served in the Armed Forces during World War II, more than 400,000 died.

Raymond Weeks of Birmingham, Alabama organized a "Veterans Day" parade for that city on November 11, 1947, to honor all of America's veterans for their loyal service. Later, U.S. Representative

Edward H. Rees of Kansas proposed legislation changing the name of Armistice Day to Veterans Day to honor all those who have served America in all wars.

In 1954, President Eisenhower signed a bill proclaiming November 11 as Veterans Day, and called upon Americans everywhere to rededicate themselves to the cause of peace. He issued a Presidential Order directing the head of the Veterans Administration, now the Department of Veterans Affairs, to form a Veterans Day National Committee to organize and oversee the national observance of Veterans Day. In addition to fulfilling that mission, the committee oversees the annual production and distribution of the Veterans Day Poster and this Veterans Day Teachers Resource Guide.

In 1968, Congress moved Veterans Day to the fourth Monday in October. However, it became apparent that the November 11 date was historically significant to a great many Americans. As a result, Congress formally returned the observance of Veterans Day to its traditional date in 1978.

The Veterans Day National Ceremony is held each year on November 11 at Arlington National Cemetery. At 11 a.m., a color guard, made up of members from each of the military services, renders honors to America's war dead during a tradition-rich ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

The President or his representative places a wreath at the Tomb and a bugler sounds “Taps.” The balance of the ceremony, including a "Parade of Flags" by numerous veterans service organizations, takes place inside the Memorial Amphitheater, adjacent to the Tomb.

In addition to planning and coordinating the National Veterans Day Ceremony, the Veterans Day National Committee supports a number of Veterans Day Regional Sites. These sites conduct Veterans Day celebrations that provide excellent examples for other communities to follow.

To all those who have served in any capacity in our armed forces.
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I would like to personally salute our Veterans.
It is heartwarming to see the pride our Nation takes in honoring those that are presently serving and those who have served in the past.

A salute to Veterans from all the members at BITOG:
patriot.gif

I was asked to attend a ceremony and program honoring Veterans this morning given by a local elementary school.

I was honored to visit with and share stories with combat heros from WWII to the current war.

A young highly decorated Army Spec 4 in Uniform , back from Iraq sang the National Anthem. He just reenlisted to head back to combat after SPEC OPS training. He must have been all of 21 years old.

I am really proud of our Women and Men in Uniform and I break into tears when I see them fighting right now while I sit on my old fat butt worrying about pitifully insignificant things.

I prayed today for all that are in harms way. I pray that our leadership is thinking and acting to WIN, not politically expedient extraction techniques that get the brightest and best we have killed and maimed.

God Bless all fighters for freedom.

Hope the 70 virgins are ready for each and every combatant that is willing to die for allah. I wish the people of Iraq would support our troops who are trying to unite them.

Terry

JUST A SIMPLE SOLDIER

He was getting old and paunchy
And his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion,
Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he had fought in
And the deeds that he had done.
In his exploits with his buddies;
They were heroes, everyone.

And 'tho sometimes, to his neighbors,
His tales became a joke,