Very sad today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday 7-29-09, a fellow cyclist with whom I had ridden many times, a great athlete, six time Ironman finisher and a great ambassador to the triathlon world, Carlos Serrano of Scottsboro, AL was out on a training ride when he was struck and killed by a car.

Words can not express my emotions. Sadness, anger, vulnerability, helplessness. All that.....it just sucks!!! Carlos was a safe rider, and an excellent bike handler. He did not deserve to die this way!
frown.gif
mad.gif

Sorry to hear that. His life ended too soon, so much potential ahead of him. Was the driver under driving under the influence?

Was Carlos the one that filmed a video of you riding on the trails? And I remember right you mentioned he was a NASA scientist or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Sorry to hear that. His life ended too soon, so much potential ahead of him. Was the driver under driving under the influence?

Was he the one that filmed a video of you riding on the trails? And I remember right you mentioned he was a NASA scientist or something like that.

A different guy (Jose) filmed the trail video. The driver of the car was not DUI. To the best of my knowledge, the ddriver was a local doctor's wife, with three kids in the car when the accident happened. I'm sure she was occupied, but that doesn't excuse running over someone.

scary. My wife goes out along often training for tris. It scares me. Perhaps this makes it time to buy enhanced safety equipment and additional lights, etc.

Sorry to hear of the loss. Gives us all a reminder to be vigilant when riding and driving.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

to pablo, what is a Cager?

People in cars. They feel comfortably numb in their cages. The term is used a lot by motorized bicyclers. A guy is Aus on a electric bike was just taken out. Cagers are blind. We debate about if they are deaf.

Sorry about that fella losing his life. I used to ride many miles on the local roads. Then, during about a one week period I had three close calls....one with a school bus. I realized at that point that the roads are best left to automobiles and motorcycles. While life isn't fair, and traffic rules/road sharing are often ignored....I prefer to use common sense and improve my odds of living longer by only cycling on paved paths or mountain bike trails. Nearly every day in this country cyclists are killed by drivers that are either not paying attention, or are just completely in the dark about the rules of the road. Any way you look at it the car wins....so for those that ride on roads, the risk will always be something each person must decide for themselves. For me, road cycling wasn't worth dying for.

Last edited:
tell your buddy's wife to sue that Doctor's wife for everything they are worth. no excuse to kill someone like that

Quote:

tell your buddy's wife to sue that Doctor's wife for everything they are worth.

Wouldn't you rather learn the facts, first?

Wayne, sorry about your loss.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Wouldn't you rather learn the facts, first?

What a novel idea. +1

Very sorry for your loss Wayne.

I can't stand NA legal system. I GUARANTEE you she didn't do anything particularly 'wrong', was just very careless. Won't do a DAY of jail time for taking a life. I guarantee it.

Quote:

was just very careless. Won't do a DAY of jail time for taking a life. I guarantee it.

This of course, is not the proper venue, but review my previous post.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Yesterday 7-29-09, a fellow cyclist with whom I had ridden many times, a great athlete, six time Ironman finisher and a great ambassador to the triathlon world, Carlos Serrano of Scottsboro, AL was out on a training ride when he was struck and killed by a car.

Words can not express my emotions. Sadness, anger, vulnerability, helplessness. All that.....it just sucks!!! Carlos was a safe rider, and an excellent bike handler. He did not deserve to die this way!
frown.gif
mad.gif

Sorry for you bud. It's never easy to loose anyone we are close to.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back