Very pleased with M1 during HPDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year i attended a Solo 1 style HPDE where the most laps i'd do at a time was 3 laps during a practice session. At the time, i apprehensive about SuperSyn, so i was using Valvoline Synpower. That turned out to be a mistake. The oil temps were obviously too high, and/or the oil was thinning out far too much, as indicated by my 15psi at idle when i pulled in after a few laps.

On friday I attended a full HPDE at BeaveRun here in PA. I'm running 4000 mile old 10w30 Super Syn with a fresh regular purolator filter now, and the oil pressure stayed consistent with what i'd get on a long highway trip (above 50psi at all times). I was very pleased to pull into the pits with 25psi of oil pressure at idle; despite the 20-30 minute sessions mostly spent over 5000 rpm.

There's a lot to be learned by reading on here and seeing UOAs and what not. But seeing it personally really makes me a lot more confident.

I'll definately pay the extra for Mobil 1 over any Group III synthetic, even the cheaper Havoline stuff.

* HPDE = high performance driving event

I wouldn't be so confident with 10w30 Mobile 1. I also run HPDE, and track sessions. A fellow Camaro enthusiast just spun a bearing using 10w40 Mobile 1. Even though your pressure seem OK, the high rpms and loads shear the oil and little by little will eat away your bearings until it fails. I would recommend Redline or Royal Purple which are designed for racing.

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
I wouldn't be so confident with 10w30 Mobile 1. I also run HPDE, and track sessions. A fellow Camaro enthusiast just spun a bearing using 10w40 Mobile 1. Even though your pressure seem OK, the high rpms and loads shear the oil and little by little will eat away your bearings until it fails. I would recommend Redline or Royal Purple which are designed for racing.

Leo

Well, I would have to disagree with the recommendation of Royal Purple. This board has shown it is not the best choice.

I can see people having problems with the Mobil 1 TriSynth, but the SuperSyn seems to be great. Still, because the car spun a bearing... does not mean the oil is at fault.

I use Mobil 1 in my high 11 second LT1 Z28. Heck... the car has over 61,000 miles on it now and has seen nothing but Mobil 1 (TriSynth and then SuperSyn). Stock cam, rockers, lifters, etc were not worn at all when I put in new stuff at 58k miles. My friend uses Mobil 1 10w30 in his 650rwhp 383 Supercharged LT1 TransAm and has had no problems or signs of them.

M1 gets a thumbs up from me.

quote:

Oh, baloney. The UOAs posted on this forum consistently show Mobil 1 to be every bit as good as Redline. And Royal Purple? Pu-leez...

And unless your friend is using motorcycle oil in his car, there is no such thing as "10w40 Mobile 1." [sic]

quote:

Oh, baloney. The UOAs posted on this forum consistently show Mobil 1 to be every bit as good as Redline. And Royal Purple? Pu-leez...

lol.gif
I don't think it's Mobil 1. UOA's on M1 are consistant. Plus, formual one and NASCAR run M1 off the shelf and it's fine.

[ June 15, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

I'm not talking about UOA or dragracing. I'm talking about racing at a constant high RPMs for four 20 mins track sessions of HPDE

NASCAR and F1 are hours long at high rpms. M1 is easily up to the task. They probably run 15w-50 though. I wouldn't just say because his engine broke it's Mobil 1's fault. Could be many other reasons. Even thought Redline uses more Moly and Amsoil uses more ZDDP, doesn't mean it's better. There are probably optimal amounts you need and anymore is just overkill and not adding any real benefit. I would agree though that Redline is very good for racing probably. Very shear stable.

quote:

........ A fellow Camaro enthusiast just spun a bearing using 10w40 Mobile 1.

Where does he get 10w40 Mobil1?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I'm not talking about UOA or dragracing. I'm talking about racing at a constant high RPMs for four 20 mins track sessions of HPDE

NASCAR and F1 are hours long at high rpms. M1 is easily up to the task. They probably run 15w-50 though. I wouldn't just say because his engine broke it's Mobil 1's fault. Could be many other reasons. Even thought Redline uses more Moly and Amsoil uses more ZDDP, doesn't mean it's better. There are probably optimal amounts you need and anymore is just overkill and not adding any real benefit. I would agree though that Redline is very good for racing probably. Very shear stable.

Do you have any proof of this??....Just because it says so on the bottle doesn't mean anything....it might be Mobil 1, but a one of a kind oil....not the same 15W-50 we use.
Can anyone confirm above statement??
Rick

I've been following this site for some time. I've learned a lot from here. I made the switch to Mobil 1 in my 95 s10 with 91,000 miles. The truck does not leak or use oil. I have been using Pennzoil 5w-30. I have changed the oil about every 2000 miles or so. My drive daily is only about 7 miles one way. Not enough time to get the oil very hot. I'm hoping the Mobil 5-30 will do a better job protecting the engine and just maybe increase the gas mileage a little. I plan on changing the first run of oil about 3-4000 miles. Then increase to around 6000-7000 miles.

Let's start with Mobil 1 MX4T. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars doesn't?

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
NASCAR and F1 are hours long at high rpms. M1 is easily up to the task. They probably run 15w-50 though. I wouldn't just say because his engine broke it's Mobil 1's fault. Could be many other reasons.

You really believe that?
quote:

Even thought Redline uses more Moly and Amsoil uses more ZDDP, doesn't mean it's better. There are probably optimal amounts you need and anymore is just overkill and not adding any real benefit. I would agree though that Redline is very good for racing probably. Very shear stable.

It most certainly does mean it's better, at least for racing. Generally a spun bearing is due to crankshaft contacting the bearing. High loads, starvation, whatever. What do you need when the oil film is pentrated and metal to metal contact occurs? barrier adds. What if there isn't enough or right type? Massive friction...bye bye bearing. This makes 3 cases I know of spun bearings on M1 when road racing. Maybe GM is crap
lol.gif
but the other 2 were BMW. They must be crap too huh? And funny coincedence that another car spun a bearing with 0w30 german syntec. I surmised that it may be lacking in barrier adds...UOA is posted...surprise,suprise
wink.gif

What you are basing your statement on is normal operation where EP adds won't make a hill of beans difference. And you may be correct for those conditions. But racing or hard driving environment is completely different. And the degree of metal to metal contact required to spin a bearing does not occur every time under those conditions, but when it does, the oil used does make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back