Very Old Kellogg American Air Compressor - Oil Suggestion?

I inherited my 91 year old father 1959 beast of a compressor, a Kellogg American.
Been sitting for a loooooong time, I drained the oil, it was black.
I know it calls for "non detergent 30 wt compressor oil" but what I would like to do is; in hopes of running and flushing it out several times with a detergent 30 wt then, switch to a non detergent 30 wt.
Again, just trying to get some of the 'muck' in the sump outta there... feedback?
BTW, is true "compressor oil" all that preferred vs a non-detergent 30 wt?

Attachments

• 194751150_10224984973312733_7133505689984458116_n.jpg
    194751150_10224984973312733_7133505689984458116_n.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 136
My older compressors call for a non detergent 20 wt. I was fortunate to have several quarts from long ago, since this is hard to find. Some good old fashioned parts stores or Napa's might still have it. I think "compressor" oil and non detergent oil are the same thing.

I don't think running a detergent oil in there is going to clean that compressor out much. Ideally, taking it apart to clean it is best. Next best, I would drain it, fill it up with a solvent, do not run it and let that solvent sit in the sump for several days then drain and refill it with N.Detergent oil.

My older compressors call for a non detergent 20 wt. I was fortunate to have several quarts from long ago, since this is hard to find. Some good old fashioned parts stores or Napa's might still have it. I think "compressor" oil and non detergent oil are the same thing.

I don't think running a detergent oil in there is going to clean that compressor out much. Ideally, taking it apart to clean it is best. Next best, I would drain it, fill it up with a solvent, do not run it and let that solvent sit in the sump for several days then drain and refill it with N.Detergent oil.
think diesel fuel would get goo outta there?

From someone who works on these things, I think you’re chasing your tail trying to “clean“ it. I would throw in some Quin-CIP and call it a day. Just change it regularly.

Agree with Creekside. I would skip trying to clean it in anyway. Just fill with new oil and move on. Last time I checked you could get ND 30w at pretty much any part store if that's what you want to run. My old compressor (a small one) calls for 20w-20 and honestly I think I just put normal detergent 30w in there and that was years ago with no issues.

BTW that is a beast of a compressor. My grandad has a similar one and I like to hear it run, a slow 'womp womp womp' type sound compared to smaller compressors. I'm also sure his hasn't had an oil change in 40yrs and it doesn't seem to mind.

Napa has Valvoline non detergent 30W and the last time I purchased that oil, it had an air compressor on the bottle showing its intended use.

Looks like a Model 352. I have the same unit in my shop. Love it.

I am using full-synthetic compressor oil that I bought on Amazon. It seems to like it just fine.

I like it nobody ever complains I just have to much air. What HP motor running it If it were me I'd fill and run it continuously for about 1hr get some heat in it drain and refill with a compressor oil.

Looks like a Model 352. I have the same unit in my shop. Love it.

I am using full-synthetic compressor oil that I bought on Amazon. It seems to like it just fine.
Actually she's a (1959) model #331 sitting atop a 1959 John Wood Company 200 psi 85 gallon tank.
Question, what kind of pressure were these old beasts designed to run at?
It did have a 190psi safty valve on it but without knowing how rusted the inside of the tank is I don't believe I would run it past 140-150 psi.

I like it nobody ever complains I just have to much air. What HP motor running it If it were me I'd fill and run it continuously for about 1hr get some heat in it drain and refill with a compressor oil.
If your HP question was towards me, it has a 5 HP single phase motor turning the pump. and the motor has greasable bearings!

Actually she's a (1959) model #331 sitting atop a 1959 John Wood Company 200 psi 85 gallon tank.
Question, what kind of pressure were these old beasts designed to run at?
It did have a 190psi safty valve on it but without knowing how rusted the inside of the tank is I don't believe I would run it past 140-150 psi.

My model 352 is from 1963 and still runs great. I have no need for air pressures beyond 100-psi, so mine is set to turn on at 80 and off at 100. I'm sure that the compressor could handle much higher pressure, but like you I wouldn't trust the tank.

Back