Very Low Car Usage - Oil Issue Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter drives her new 2007 Toyota Yaris to school 5 days a week for a round trip total of 4.5 miles, through residencial streets, several stop signs, just one light.

She works about 3-4 days a week, about 7 miles round trip. Through city driving.

The car never reaches optimum oil temperature.

I am concerned about fuel dilution, and other related wear issues as we want the engine to last 200,000 miles.

What would you guys suggest for OCI? What type/brand?

Currently the car has just 9,700 miles (use to be my car).

It seems that nearly 100% of her driving is with an engine whose oil temperature is almost never optimum.

Please advise, and thanks!

I would use Amsoil ASL 5W-30 with an Amsoil EaO filter and change it at the Amsoil spec'd severe service OCI. If she could take it for a long run once a week at least 1/2 hr it would help a lot. It might be worth considering a bypass oil filter.

I'd go with a 5w-20 like Pennzoil conventional, Valvoline, Halvoline, QS or GTX and change it out every 4-6 months.

I'm pretty sure that 5w-20 is the oil recommended by Toyota.

It will last 200k with no problems.

Quote:

Would a reasonable OCI be 3,000 miles or less?

With the miles she is driving less than 3k every 4-6 months.

Toyota wants the oil changed every 5k or 6 months whatever comes first.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

PS: With the miles she is driving (5 miles time 5 days = 25, 7 miles times 4 days = 28 = 53 miles a week. 2800 miles a year.

I'll take it back, making 200k will only take 71 years. I doubt SHE will make it.
grin.gif

Thanks Bill, yea Toy recommends 5w-20...agreed that perhaps I should change the oil on a time schedule and not mile schedule...

I'm with Bill on this one but I would highly recommend taking it out for a good 30 minute drive once in a while to burn off condensation, fuel, etc.

Short trips on cold oil is the worst of all possible driving as far as the oil is concerned on street engines. Gas and water contaminate the oil, and the additive package isn't up to operating temperature. I have inherited two engines lately that saw all short trips on cold oil. One is black inside and the other is orange. Both have issues due to cleanliness, and blow freely out the valve covers when I pull the PCV valves. 3000 mile OCI's on conventional SL and previous specs did not get the job done.

I would recommend changing the oil at 50 hours maximum in your situation with the best quality 5W-20 that you can afford. You might be a perfect candidate for the Auto-RX maintenance dosage regimen since engine cleanliness will be your worst enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back