Very Dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very dissapointed that GC is not on the approved Audi oil list:
frown.gif

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/certified_pre_owned.Par.0011.File.pdf

It would appear as if I can't use GC for my 1.8T and meet Audi/VW requirements.

GC/SLX I is a werkstat oil, a "shop" oil not intended for consumer use, just Audi Service Departments. Thus the green colour so the customer can tell their car was serviced with the correct oem fluid. Heck, it was Factory-Fill in Audis. That list is a mess anyway.

I'd use it in a heatbeat in an Audi 1.8T and never think twice about it. Compared to most other oils out there, the others just don't stack up. Period.

Besides, the warranty issues are moot in the USA anyway concerning oil and "recommended" lubes.

Darth-Sidious.jpg

I think that if they sell it at the Audi parts counter, which they do at my dealership, you don't have any worries. That list shows oils that meet vw 502 which is good for a 5k oci and are all most probably a group 3 oil. GC also meets vw 503.01 which is much tougher, it is a long drain turbo oil for high horsepower motors.

The answer is very simple:

Castrol Formula SLX (GC Green) was discontinued in Europe 2-2,5 years ago and was substituted by Formula SLX Longtec (GC Gold). The latter, in its turn, was substituted by Castrol Edge that you can see on the list.

wait wait wait... so, your saying:

GC Green = Formula SLX
GC Gold = Formula SLX Longtec

and that, they came in that order. and that, Longtec as since been discontinued, and in it's place they now have Edge?

so, does that mean there will be yet another change in GC soon to come? meaning, will we soon be getting GC in the form of Edge, rather than Longtec?

The list does show Castrol Syntec 5w-40, so why not the 0w-30? Probably because there is still American made 0w-30 on the shelves that doesn't meet the VW specs.

Quote:

so, does that mean there will be yet another change in GC soon to come? meaning, will we soon be getting GC in the form of Edge, rather than Longtec?

May be, it already happened. This time the color will hardly help to easily distinguish a new version of GC because "Edge" is nearly the same color as SLX Longtec. Besides, it has the same viscosimetrics.

There are a lot of SLX oils in Europe and an availability of each and the time when Castrol removes/substitutes/change a product or name differs from country to country: in one country they do it earlier and later in another. In some countries Castrol leaves the name, but changes the product itself, in others they sell the same oil under 2 or 3 brand names. Pure marketing and we, end-users, will hardly find an explanation why they do it in this way. I'm afraid Castrol is already lost itself. For the moment we have SLX Longtec and Edge, but in some countries Longtec is already discontinued or may be sold under another name. According to German page they already have "New Formula SLX", but it is not green. According to Norway page you should still have available Formula SLX A 0W-30 which it is not available in other countries since 2003-2004. I tried to find it in other countries too, but without a success. BTW, Norway was one of the countries where GC Green was available the longest. And I was always wonder where Castrol was taking so much discontinued "Green" to export it to the US and Canada. But this will remain a mystery.

Thanks for the posting of the picture. It highlights my concern where it states "exceeds" the manufactures requiremnts. It does not say approved as other manufacturers, and for that matter Castrol 5w/40, state. Marketing?

good question. Is your vehicle still under warranty? What atre the real worries about one word? All indications point to the fact that it is a top notch oil that is VERY robust for such aplications.

JMH

Quote:

Thanks for the posting of the picture. It highlights my concern where it states "exceeds" the manufactures requiremnts. It does not say approved as other manufacturers, and for that matter Castrol 5w/40, state. Marketing?

It's total marketing.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933
Quote:

SAE 5W-40:
Engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00.
Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

SAE 0W-30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

Infact, they even state that the 0W-30 exceeds the 503.01 requirement which is one of the toughest ones that VW has.

And if you look at http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx which is for the Mobil 1 0W-40 it also says that their products are "Exceeding industry standards"

It's all marketing. Think about it, the average person will look at two products which cost similar prices and if one says "meets" and the other says "exceeds" then which one are they going to buy? Obviously they'd want one that "exceeds".

As stated before, myself and numerous other 1.8T owners run GC without hesitation.

> numerous other 1.8T owners run GC without hesitation.

Ditto. This 1.8t owner runs GC. It's my number 1 selection above M1 0w40, BC 5w40, or any other oil on the approved list.

a_g

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back