Very Disappointed with my Pep Boys Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
After what you guys have said, I walked by the car this morning and was relieved to find that none of the tires have gone flat...just yet. So, maybe they did get the TPMS rebuild right the first time!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I think more and more places will use the complexity of hybrid drives to introduce some bogus "hybrid" charges, even if the job is nothing special, if you have to disconnect the battery to change the oil, than do it without charging any extra, it's part of the job, what's next, a fee to unscrew the oil filler cap?

Exactly. Disabling the smart key is no different than removing the key from the ignition switch. Come'on, charging me $20 to do that...are you serious?
31.gif

I wouldn't let PB service dept get within 10 yards of anything I own. Maybe in different parts of the country they are better. In the NY area they are tied for last place with the Sears, and Mavis Tire. All three are rip offs.

I visited a local New England based chain (VIP Auto) needing an overdue oil change for my Subaru WRX and tire rotation. I had a very positive experience and was in/out in 45 minutes for $70 using Mobil 1.

The service tech was an older gentleman and had that ASE? badge on his shirt.

I am very leary of chains but at least this experience was positive.

This is like saying your disappointed in your hamburger after eating at a common hamburger chain.

Took the car to the local Midas for an oil change today. $21, no waiting, no non-sense, nothing.

Unfortunately, on the drive back I noticed that the steering wheel is clocked a good 15 degrees to the right. FML.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Took the car to the local Midas for an oil change today. $21, no waiting, no non-sense, nothing.

Unfortunately, on the drive back I noticed that the steering wheel is clocked a good 15 degrees to the right. FML.
06.gif

I thought they had the tech sitting in the car holding it?
lol.gif

I'm suprised that there are any PBs around here...most seem to be going out of business around here....

. . . So why can't I expect Pep Boys to handle a simple tire replacement and alignment?

Same reason you can't expect your trash truck driver to install your new tires -- they're horribly unqualified. I wouldn't let them pump my fuel or add air to my tires.

I'm sorry, but PoopBoyz screwed me over years ago, at a point in my life when I could least afford to be screwed over. I was an almost-starving public defender trying to feed my kids, and saved up dollars here and there to replace the near-bald old tires on my Civic. The brakes had been perfect up to that point, but they torqued the lug nuts on so hard that they warped the daylights out of my rotors.

They denied they had done anything wrong. I had to drive the car for months with it nearly shaking my fillings out every time I got on the brakes.

It will be a cold day in Hitler's corner of you-know-where before I ever let a PoopBoys "tech" touch one of my cars again.

And NO, you don't have to disconnect the HV batt to change the oil on an HSD car (check my sig...). I doubt those idiots actually had any idea how to do it anyway. . .
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: mcrn
This is like saying your disappointed in your hamburger after eating at a common hamburger chain.

With all due respect to Mike, no, this is more like picking a half-eaten, common burger out of a trash can, and finding the taste unacceptable. . .

Can you tell how I feel about PoopBoyz???

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I'm suprised that there are any PBs around here...most seem to be going out of business around here....

Awwwwwwwww, shucks -- that's just terrible. . .

I'm generally a forgiving person, but if you screw me over, and then all but tell me get over it and get lost, I don't forget soon. I suppose this vent/rant is for naught -- I don't suppose any PoopBoys bozos are swift enough to be here anyway.

Caveat emptor guys -- you can do much, much better out there!

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Awwwwwwwww, shucks -- that's just terrible. . .

I'm generally a forgiving person, but if you screw me over, and then all but tell me get over it and get lost, I don't forget soon. I suppose this vent/rant is for naught -- I don't suppose any PoopBoys bozos are swift enough to be here anyway.

Good point. I guessing that is pretty much why they are not here any more...

My first and only experience with PepBoys: I had PepBoys did alignment on my Honda S2000, one shop could not get it right after 1 hour then blame one of the wheel sensor broke, but they charged the full price anyway and told me to drive the car for a few days, if I don't feel the car is driven right then take it to another PepBoys they will re-check and re-adjust. The second PepBoys mechanic could not do it right after 1 hours, but the idiot kept saying "Am I good or what? I'm the best".

I had the car at another alignment shop, this time the car was aligned correctly, the handling was much better and tire wear was evenly at all 4 corners.

Since then, I never had my car serviced at PepBoys for anything, but I still buy oils and parts there if it was on sale.

Boy you have a short memory!

Since you feel it's okay to call it "PoopBoys" does that mean it's okay for me to insert some of my favorite lawyer jokes here? :)

06.gif

Huh? I don't get this.

- Vikas

Attempting to find the best of the worst still results in worst.

Find a good independent shop or the dealer; plain and simple all chains are [word not for use around the ears of BITOG] and rarely will you find one that is good.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

06.gif

Huh? I don't get this.

- Vikas

I took the Prius to a local Midas for an oil change two days ago. This was because the Pep Boys wanted a ridiculous hybrid vehicle upcharge.

The point that I was trying to was that the Midas performed the oil change for only $21. They did not try to hit me with a hybrid vehicle upcharge, the oil was not overfilled, no ridiculous upsells, etc. In other words, not all chain auto shops are bad-- I think the Pep Boys that I went to was just a bad egg.

As for the alignment, on my drive to the Midas I noticed that the steering wheel was clocked slightly to the right. FML stands for F my life.

Auto chain shops are such a lottery ticket. Sure you might have a good experience a time or two but they are "more bad" more often. Why try to find a needle in a haystack when you can buy one for a nickel?

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

Boy you have a short memory!

Since you feel it's okay to call it "PoopBoys" does that mean it's okay for me to insert some of my favorite lawyer jokes here? :)

No, actually I was wondering if you'd surface and catch me. I respect your view, but with my long memory, I find it impossible to overlook how these guys shafted me, and seemed to take perverse pleasure in doing so. Hard to get over, especially since I've found other places where they want to keep me as a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back