Very Cheap oils and OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went by Wally World yesterday and they had a "New" type of oil out on the isle. It was $1 a quart, with 10w30 SM "Energy Conserving" starburst on the back, and in fine print on the back it is manufactured by Warren Oil Products.
Isn't that the same people who make Supertech?

Anyways, I bought 10 quarts of it.
Anyone else see this stuff?
Its kind of crazy that I can do a oil change for $7 and change.

Im thinking about running a couple OCI's with this and sending in the 2nd OCI to Blackstone to see how it really holds up.

I am going to a Rinse cycle of my 2nd Auto RX run this weekend. That will be my 1st use of this. I imagine it will do well as it should have a fairly weak add pack and do a great rinse.

Perhaps I should send in a vigin sample to Blackstone also?

What are your thoughts?

(Funny how I have everything in my stockpile from Mobil 0w30 down to cheapo 10w30, semi syn 5w20, and some Mobil 1 15w50)

Dave,

My take on that is that I don't mind using cheep, API approved conventional oil for AutoRx rinse, so long as it stays in there for just a relatively short period of time.

I'd also don't mind using that as a stored car engine oil rinse or some simple (1cyl) lawnmower engine oil so long as it meets proper viscosity.

Q.

Will have to check out my local WM tonight. I still have a bunch of $1/quart FormulaShell to work through.

If it meets spec, there's no reason why not to use it...

Say SuperDave Which Walmart did you find this at. I am also in the Dallas area and mine doesn't have it. Does it say super tech on the bottle?

If it meets the spec of the API SM category and isn't just creative wording like "For use where SM is required" then I would use it with confidence for 3K miles, and send in a UOA along with a VOA to see how it holds up. I would imagine it's truly an API licensed oil if Warren is producing it.

Pay for the TBN/TAN testing as this will show you how well the additive package is holding up and how acidic the oil is becoming in your application.

Might cost you a few bucks to get this information but if you can save a whack of money using this oil it will be cheaper in the long run!
wink.gif

This isn't that ACCEL junk perchance?

IIRC, Peak is also made by warren.

Anything cheaper than supertech that isn't on closeout has to have a major issue like not being in spec; they wouldn't undercut themselves like that.

The oil doesn't know what price it's being sold for. It will not sludge your engine due to low self-esteem. If it has the right stuff in it to meet SM, use with confidence.

3,000 mile oil I suppose. probably is a weak add pack. I would rather use a strong one for a rinse cycle.

It is NOT that Accel stuff that they sell.
That stuff is "For use on cars 1988 or earlier" or something like that according to the lable.
If it didnt have the SM starburst I would have never picked it up.

This stuff is made by Warren Oil out of Dunn, NC (their are 2 addresses on the back of the bottle, only Dunn rings a bell)

I dont have a bottle in front of me, but I think the name is "Trac MPG" or something like it.

I will try to post the exact text of the lable tonight when I get home.

I got it at the Wally World off of the intersection of George Bush Tollroad and 635, off of McArthur BLVD in Irving.

I have been very busy at work and with moving into a new place. I will see how much information I can gather on this product without totally alienating myself from my wife.
grin2.gif

Get us a UPC (include the little numbers at beginning and end), if it's $1 a quart across the land we could special order it!

I've always had a soft spot for less-additivized oil on the theory that there was room for... more oil! It'd suit 3k changes many do anyway.

sign me up, according to this site only 3 companies make the major additives in oil and rest buy from them....i am going to look tonite

Ok, I have a 1 qt bottle in front of me. The Stuff is actually made for RaceTrac by Warren Oil.

Black Bottle, with a red cap.
Silver lable with red and white lettering.

Front of bottle

"Trac
RPMaximum
Performance Rated Motor Oil
SAE 10W-30
(API Cert Starburst)"

On the back it gives its little marketing stuff about how it is certified.
Then it has the "API Service SM" circle with "Energy Conserving"

"Made in USA
RaceTrac
Manufactured by:
Warren Oil Co. Inc
Dunn NC 28334
Benton, AL 36785

The little bar code (UPC) is:

0 26948 00046 9

RaceTrac, 'nough said. Regardless of SM cert I would relegate this to lawnmower oil. Or use as fuel in an oilburner.

Yeah, I need to read the fine print at the bottom of the bottle.

Im thinking I will still use it for a 2,500 mile rinse phase.

(If you are looking for an oil to add your own additives to this might be it.)

I see you have racetrac gas stations in dallas. Wonder if this is some surplus deal. Beats having big lots snap it up!! I bet it's a fine oil and you should snap up a few cases before it goes away.

That is the point though, RaceTrac is well known in the area to have really poor gas, so why trust any other petroleum product from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back