Vehicles that surprised you (for better, or worse)

For better- My 1999 Wrangler TJ. I bought it in 2002 to use as a parade car in a political campaign. I fully intended to sell it after the election. It turned out that the whole family liked it- a lot. I ended up selling my 1993 Pathfinder SE instead. This May I will have owned the Wrangler for 21 years.

For better- My 1999 Wrangler TJ. I bought it in 2002 to use as a parade car in a political campaign. I fully intended to sell it after the election. It turned out that the whole family liked it- a lot. I ended up selling my 1993 Pathfinder SE instead. This May I will have owned the Wrangler for 21 years.

How can anyone not like a Jeep? A real Jeep - Wranglers, XJs, Grand Cherokees.

I had heard/read all the usual complaints- noisy, rough ride, sketchy handling, inadequate HVAC- you name it.
All of which were ridiculously exaggerated.

I had a 1980 CJ-7 for a couple years, and quickly wound up not liking it. It's probably my fault for buying one which was apparently used and abused, plus it had an aftermarket hardtop which squeaked and rattled constantly and had the tiniest of slide-open side windows so it was like driving in an oven on hot days. Plus, it had every 70s-era piece of smog equipment imaginable so it was a rat's nest of vacuum lines and solenoids under the hood and there were issues with the carb so it wouldn't start in certain weather conditions. The last year I owned it it mostly sat parked in the driveway while I drove my old beater instead - the beater that the Jeep was supposed to replace.

In contrast, my brother has a TJ Wrangler which is just awesome in every way that the CJ was a dud. I've driven it many times and would buy one in an instant if one became available (if I had room for it). And I'm still jealous for the unlimited aftermarket support that's available for them

I rented one years ago, 5-7 years? I never wanted another. They must be better now.

I should have mentioned, I rented some random Kia something car in Cancun. It was just fine for the area. The Yucatan is "flat as a tortilla" and speed limits are pretty low. We drove all over the peninsula. Low powered manual but got great MPG or Km/lit. Or whatever. A powerful car would be a total waste there. Different world for sure. I would have hated it in California but was great there.
That would be the previous generation and I believe it's now on a different platform or at least an updated platform. Don't get me wrong, it's now Maybach but I find it comfortable and fun to drive.

1968 scout. Rare factory V8 with a t18 4 speed. Thing was unstoppable off road. It could climb stuff others couldn't and was actually very dependable considering the abuse I put it through.
Just before it rusted out? My grandfather was an executive in the farm division at International Harvester before they sold off that division. We had lots of Scouts growing up and rust was always an issue.

Same. Bought mine June 2002 and still drive it daily

I was pleasantly surprised by the 2018 Nissan Altima rental I got a few years go. I was expecting a similar driving experience to our Caliber, it blew that out of the water… not sure if it was actually faster but it certainly felt faster.

Back