Vehicle to traffic light communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very helpful in NYC grid lock when you haven't moved 500 feet in 15 minutes. "The time to the NEXT green light you can't get to is .....".

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
I wonder how that would work when around here the lights only hamper the flow of traffic around here. Lights seem to trip at the sight of a car.

Nothing makes me more irritated than when I'm on a major road where there is lots of traffic and the light turns at the point where I can't blow through yellow so I have to jam on the brakes because of 1 car sitting there.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
V-to-I and V-to-V will not help persons who pay 99% attention to smart phone.

That is why I mentioned it being more helpful to a self driving car.
smile.gif

This is a technology that is begging for unintended consequences. If people use this to time lights so that they only slow down and don't have to come to a stop there's going to be problems.

Today I was on a street with 2 lanes in each direction. As I approached the intersection that I hit every day I slowed down ahead of time so that I could roll through when the light turned green. I was in the right lane and there was also an extra right turn lane that was clear and there was only one car near me, right behind me. He honked and then pulled into the left lane and ran quickly up to the red light and stopped. As the light changed I rolled through and continued on. The driver of the other car finally caught up with me and waved his fist at me as he flew by. As I approached the next intersection there he was stopped at the red light. We repeated the process until I turned off to my home.

I will have to admit he is the better driver in the better car. He beat me to every red light. By the time I got there all I could do was to continue on. He was able to catch and pass me every time. It's driving skill like this that makes traffic what it is, today. I think this new technology would go right over his head.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Very helpful in NYC grid lock when you haven't moved 500 feet in 15 minutes. "The time to the NEXT green light you can't get to is .....".

What you need in NY is a system to navigate you around double parked vehicles, standing taxis and delivery vehicles in the right hand lane, and knowing when left or right turns are coming up such that cars will stop dead in front of you. Until you fix that, it's every driver for themselves. I had dozens of day trips in NY back in the day and it was like driving in a demolition derby. The only way to win the game?...is not to play.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Edited by wwillson (08/18/16 10:23 AM)
Edit Reason: subject clarification

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for trying to help. Just to be clear, V-to-I stands for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure.

Also, why was this thread moved to "Off Topic"? Isn't this a General Automotive topic?

Vehicle to Traffic Light? That is awesome! As soon as my car approaches the traffic light, it automatically turns green!!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Vehicle to Traffic Light? That is awesome! As soon as my car approaches the traffic light, it automatically turns green!!

Well, ambulances and other service vehicles do it today. Why shouldn't we be able to as well?
smile.gif

It'd be nice. There is an intersection near me that has the lights biased to favor the other direction--presumably that road has more traffic. However a good half of the time I go through there I stop for absolutely no one--there is no cross traffic.

I could see this perhaps helping in high congestion. By keeping count of how many are waiting, the light could try to make sure each direction gets its fair share of waiting, and not any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back