Vehicle Speed Sensor on FWD/2WD vs AWD/4WD versions compatible?

This is a VSS that installs on transmission which I need to buy.

I have a 4WD automatic vehicle but it's way more expensive than the FWD sensor.

The part seems to be physically and mechanically identical but there is an electronic component to it, the sensor itself.

Some of the parts don't even indicate whether it's AWD or FWD.

Does anyone know if there is any real difference in the way it read the signal at the ECU/TCU?

Thanks

There could be a difference in the number of teeth they count in the component in question.

You mean the gear teeth right?

I counted the gear teeth on my old one it's identical to the 2WD/FWD versions.

Forgot to mention it's for a toyota rav4 2003 2.0L.

It looks like they sell some with the gear some they sell without, which is weird.

The AWD version is way more expensive for some reason, talking about hundreds of dollars more.

But the part physical and mechanically atleast look identical.

What do you think about the sensors electronic component itself? Are the chances the signal is different or just readonly to the ICU and worth trying out?

Thanks

To me it looks like for some of the cheaper units you're just swapping the gear and the shaft onto the new part from the old part. The gear is going to determine the output of the sensor. If the plastic gear on your old unit isn't stripped, I'd probably try buying one of the cheaper units and swapping to gear onto that one.

The gear *should* be the determining factor. I see what you mean though - there are some speed sensors for that vehicle that are $40 and some that are $250 that are physically identical.

To me it looks like for some of the cheaper units you're just swapping the gear and the shaft onto the new part from the old part. The gear is going to determine the output of the sensor. If the plastic gear on your old unit isn't stripped, I'd probably try buying one of the cheaper units and swapping to gear onto that one.

The gear *should* be the determining factor. I see what you mean though - there are some speed sensors for that vehicle that are $40 and some that are $250 that are physically identical.

Yeah exactly.

Just from knowing a little how the sensor works, with same 3-pin connector, it should be sending the same signal through.

problem is the shaft that holds the gear on my old one is a bit mangled as I had to almost drill it out (it was seized in basically and impossible to take out normally) so I can't reuse the shaft.

The gear itself is fine though, looks like a bit of glue was put at the end to hold it in place but might be able to swap it if anything.

I counted the number of teeth from the pictures on the FWD versions and compared it with the old one and it seems identical.

So I'll just buy a cheap one first and see what happens, maybe get lucky :)

Thanks again

Can always try eBay or a local salvage yard, too. I'm lucky enough to have a local pick a part about 30 minutes away. They would charge something like $5 for that sensor.

Back