Vehicle Sighting - Pinto wagon

You don't see one of these everyday ... and bonus, it's got that '70s customized van window thing happening!

Seeing it in wagon form, it's not a big leap to see it as the basis for the concurrent Mustang II. (Yes, I know the Pinto came first, but the 5-MPH bumpers put this into Pintostang territory.)

20210918_104319.jpg
20210918_104336.jpg
20210918_104346_HDR.jpg
20210918_104355_HDR.jpg

My uncles neighbor had one just like this one, little round window and all. He bought off of Eaton's Canada, they used these as delivery cars back in the 70's to early 80's.

I watched a few Pinto commercials on Youtube last weekend, amazing that they sold any at all. UGLY
compare it to Gremlin, Pacer, Chevette, Mazda Rx3, 70's Civic.
These weren't competing with 11mpg '68 Camaro SSs. uh uh.
The best car at the time was a Chevy Laguna, like the one Terry Bradshaw was trying to tune up in the one of those Cannon Ball Run movies.
That & a Super Duty Trans Am. Also 11mpg.

The upgrade for my time in High School (mid 70's) was to convert your seats to Pinto Buckets. The high back buckets design was just HOT ROD
The other great thing with PINTO buckets is the Pinto has a FLAT floor pan and the seat bolted to the underside of the car. This arrangement made it totally easy to mount them in anything only needing to adjust uneven floor pans with a 2x4 or similar.

While I thought during there time PINTO are ***** now I look at them and think "kool" looking car!

Times change as we get older and our tastes in vehicles? :LOL:

My uncles neighbor had one just like this one, little round window and all. He bought off of Eaton's Canada, they used these as delivery cars back in the 70's to early 80's.
Wha...??? Were those round windows factory? Sort of a panel-van option? Crazy!

The best car at the time was a Chevy Laguna, like the one Terry Bradshaw was trying to tune up in the one of those Cannon Ball Run movies.
What happen to Vega's in your list. Vegas were hot and some flat outstanding for performance their time period. Some Vegas have historical points in the performance world as well. "GRUMPY" !

I watched a few Pinto commercials on Youtube last weekend, amazing that they sold any at all. UGLY
I always thought the "runabouts" (3-door hatch) were very ugly - more aerodynamic is R than D. But this wagon is not too bad.

One of my roomies back in the day had a Bobcat - the "upscale" Mercury sister car. It was orange, and was called "the Jellybean".

If I had been buying new back in the day, I'd have likely bought a Datsun 510 or B210, a Mazda 808, a Dodge Colt (rebadged Mitsu Lancer), a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Corolla.

What happen to Vega's in your list. Vegas were hot and some flat outstanding for performance their time period. Some Vegas have historical points in the performance world as well. "GRUMPY" !
They were interesting cars, but had very fragile engines, and rusted like crazy up here.

The upgrade for my time in High School (mid 70's) was to convert your seats to Pinto Buckets. The high back buckets design was just HOT ROD
The other great thing with PINTO buckets is the Pinto has a FLAT floor pan and the seat bolted to the underside of the car. This arrangement made it totally easy to mount them in anything only needing to adjust uneven floor pans with a 2x4 or similar.

While I thought during there time PINTO are ***** now I look at them and think "kool" looking car!

Times change as we get older and our tastes in vehicles? :LOL:
A friend from university days (late-'70s) had a Pinto, and it was so badly rusted that he feared that the driver's seat would fall through the floor. The carpet had soft spots where there was no metal left underneath. o_O

And agreed, I have a lot more appreciation now for cars I scorned then.

My mom bought a 69 Pinto with an auto trans and the 2.2 engine It was a pretty decent car and It would beat a Vega in a drag race..

I specifically left the Vega out. lol. When in high school, one talented auto shop student had a beauty, black coupe, small block Chevrolet.
It was surprisingly well done. He even had five bolt hubs on the front to compliment the proper five lug rear axles!!
I suspect his Dad was his 'helper'. There were two samples in the h.s. parking lot back in '84 or so. One was a tad rough, and the other was
far too complete to be a student's daily driver. Those are/were nice rides once you throw the factory powerplant out!

Back