Vehicle sighting - '62 (?) Ford Galaxie 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 63Marauder
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I wonder if the current owner adds lead to the fuel. Those engines were designed to run on leaded fuel and though the lead often fouled the valves, the valves were not designed to run on unleaded.
Lol, you really think it made it 50+ years on original valve seats + unleaded fuel?
I think so because my Mercury has and the 63 Galaxie I had did.
I assume you owned them both from new or pulled the heads to check? Also, you never ran any lead additives while using unleaded fuel and putting decent mileage on them? That's hard for me to believe.

Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways
Models weren't a year behind as far as I know, at least post-war, but we were sold Dodges as rebadged Plymouths and Chevys as rebadged Pontiacs with a smearing of lipstick.
Pontiac Beaumont 396! Those weird Canadian only Pontiacs are pretty cool!

My sixth grade teacher bought a new Galaxie coupe ( I'm 66). It was a beautiful car. White over red. Factory ac was common in Texas even then. Our 58 Fairlane had it. People often got those thick clear plastic seat covers then even in our heat.

I saw a 65 T-bird on the way back home this afternoon. That was a large car.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
I just realized, they spelled Galaxy wrong. That would have made me think twice before purchasing if they can't even spell the name correctly.

Marketing trick. Not a misspelling. Astra or Astre. Beretta or Baretta. Gauge or gage [GM 80s]. Invented names: Camry, Corvette, Camaro , [ some GM boob claimed it meant "friend" in French], . Celica, Firenza, Prius, Alero, Achieva [sounds like a sneeze] . Made up combinations of letters and numbers.

Just a manufacturer affectation.

I was a bigger fan of the look of the galaxies and fairlanes in the second half of the sixties than those in the first half.

As other posters are alluding to, driving one of the beasts today would seem extremely primitive, if not Fred Flintstone-ish compared to today's vehicles. The ones in the latter part of the sixties did have power steering, a big improvement from those cars just a few years earlier.

Many of these 2 ton plus cars of that era did not have power assisted brakes, which I suspect would utterly shock the heck out of today's drivers how hard those brakes (mostly all drums) needed to be stepped on to get those beasts to stop. Good times mostly for those of us that lived through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back