Vehicle Sighting - 1973 (or so) Gran Torino

20220410_083108.jpg
20220410_083116_HDR.jpg
20220410_083132.jpg

Regular plates, like a daily driver. It's gone downhill since Walt Kowalski owned it.

Yep, it's a 1973. Not nearly as pretty as Walt's 1972.
Walts was a classic. Thao got himself a great car and I hope he lived up to Walts stipulations of No chop top roof, No idiotic flames and
No big spoiler. This was cleaned up a little since old Walt was a little rough around the edges. For those who haven't watched Gran Torino it is highly recommended.

Not my cup of tea either, but I have to respect any car that's coming up on 50 years old.

Oh I totally agree, it's a cool old car but I was looking at every angle and it doesn't look good from any of them! And it's avocado green! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
1972 was a stand-out year for FoMoCo. They had a bunch of truly beautiful cars that year, including the Gran Torino, and my all-time favorite Lincoln Continental MKIV body style. In 1973 all of them were stylistically ruined by the new front bumper standard.

The 1972 was slick. The Ford stylists just mailed in the restyling that accommodated the moronic 5 mph mandate. When I saw a spy shot of the 1973 Torino I was certain that it was a disguise- it surely wouldn't be that uninspired.
Wrong.

That's is a 1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport, which was a separate model. Most people arbitrarily call all 1972 and newer Ford Torinos - "Gran Torinos", which is incorrect - the model line was Torino. The 1973 Torino line had several other models, including Torino, Gran Torino, Gran Torino Brougham. 1973 was the last year for the fastback, which was only offered on the Gran Torino Sport model. Like most Ford's from this era, these cars were horrendous rusters, so this one does look fairly solid considering. I'd be checking the lower body, frame and cowl area for rust. It also appears to have late model Crown Vic wheels, which have an offset that doesn't do this car any favours.

Here is what one looks like in better condition:

1973 Ford Gran Torino Sport.jpg

Last edited:
A relative had a boyfriend with a '70's (I was too young to note exactly) Grand Torino. He was a smart, even man; however.....

Something made him stay within 3" of any car's back bumper no matter the speed. It was truly AMAZING and troubling to be in his car. It was textbook suicidal. Every 3 minutes someone in the car would bellow, "Get off this guy's bumper". He'd creep back up immediately.
It was beyond retarded.

Ugh....I say pretty much all US vehicles in the 70 were ugly... and Ford nailed yhe UGLY with the 73 for sure. Bulbous bigg azzed cars. Top tier Cads and Linc were much better looking. Linc kept the stylish straight lines which Ford was masterful as for 40 years.

Back