Vehicle Sighting - 1970ish Ford F-100

I'm not absolutely sure but having side marker lights should make it newer that 1970.
On all vehicles of that era you can look at the rear tail light lens, if they are original, and see the date code of manufacture in a two digit number. Like "69". This also works for the front park/turn signal lens.

Only if you didn't want it to last too long. I can't see getting water into the dash as doing the electronics and favors.
Not much for electronics. The only thing close to electronic was the instrument cluster and it was pretty high. I can't remember where the fuse panel was - been a long time since I worked on one of these. The problem however was that below the rubber matt on the floor was this mole hair sound deadening insulation that would hold water and rot the floor from the inside out. Most had holes in the floor that needed fixing.

Both my dad an much older than me Brother in law had one of these. My first car was a 1975 F100, which was updated sheet metal but still pretty similar in design.

I'm not absolutely sure but having side marker lights should make it newer that 1970.
On all vehicles of that era you can look at the rear tail light lens, if they are original, and see the date code of manufacture in a two digit number. Like "69". This also works for the front park/turn signal lens.

I’m positive it’s not a 70 or newer.

FordWheel12.jpg

I’d look more like that.

67 has some unique features, 70 is a transition.

Before 67 they are slicksides, after 72 dentsides.

Last edited:
Agreed, I was surprised to see a vehicle of that vintage working. It's got regular (rather than collector) plates.
It's a truck doing truck things, what it was designed for. Unlike most $70,000 mall crawler trucks sold today.

Though I don't have one today, I have had several old beater trucks in the past, including a 1970 Ford short bed with a 302 and a '67 Chevy long bed with a 250 cu. in. stove bolt six and a three on the tree. The nice thing about those trucks is you don't have to worry about getting scrapes and dings, just use them.

It's a truck doing truck things, what it was designed for. Unlike most $70,000 mall crawler trucks sold today.

Though I don't have one today, I have had several old beater trucks in the past, including a 1970 Ford short bed with a 302 and a '67 Chevy long bed with a 250 cu. in. stove bolt six and a three on the tree. The nice thing about those trucks is you don't have to worry about getting scrapes and dings, just use them.
The 250 was an entirely different (and much better) engine than the Stovebolt engines (1962 and earlier 216, 235, 261 and their predecessors).

All about the hood. Look closely at the front where it meets the grill and lights. I had a 1968 with a similar hood. I believe this is a 1969.

I don't know whether this applied to trucks as well, but all 1968 model year cars sold in the US (and I think Canada) had to be equipped with side marker lights. A rear red reflector (as opposed to a more costly red light) was legal for 1968 (though not 1969 and later).

I think only Ford availed itself of this loophole; GM and Chrysler went to red marker lights for 1968.

The son of a local excavator died and the family wanted to sell his truck....just like that one.
I was the first non-family member to learn of the offer.
I thought long and hard about it and decided to pass.
I was vasilative then and regretful thereafter.

Manufacturers today are building the trucks that sell best (mall crawlers), not trucks to necessarily do what pickups were designed for back in the day which was a cab that could fit 3 people comfortably with a long 8 foot bed to carry work related stuff.

Wish modern pickups had low beds like that. Beautiful.
This is one of my favorite characteristics of mine as well!

This old thing has been far more practical than the newer trucks I've had.

True 8ft bed hauls most I've needed with tailgate closed.
Low bed rails means I can work out of this truck from the sides without having to climb into the bed every time I need something.

Low bed + real step bumper = easy access when I do need to climb in. No leg stretches, no climbing in on my knees, no dumb fold out ladders.

Of course, there's also the low loft height when loading something heavy.

Admittedly, newer trucks are better at absolutely everything else you could talk about. Practicality if you work out of the bed was far superior back in the day, however.

And yes, during the spring thru fall seasons, this truck does get worked relatively frequently.

IMG_20210417_100946_01.jpg

Shame that a truck of that vintage is hauling junk.
I imagine the guy knows how to keep it on the road for minimal fuss. I see he's given it a recent rustoleum paint job. Even if someone offered him $10k for it, what does $10k buy that's less pain in the ass to run? Mid 2000's Ram with a christmas tree dash lights? 27 sensors to fail, and 12 miles of wiring you can hardly see for the mice to chew every winter....
I imagine it spends most of its time running around town and a few miles out the fields during harvest or planting and that's about it, no need for a newer truck for that.

One thing I remember about those early 70’s trucks is the gas tank was behind the seat. Nice. You can see the filler cap right behind the driver’s door.
They moved it as in some accidents, the filler cap got ripped off, sparks flew into the open gas tank and fire erupted in the cab causing death or severe burns in an accident that otherwise should not have had that kind of results.

They moved it as in some accidents, the filler cap got ripped off, sparks flew into the open gas tank and fire erupted in the cab causing death or severe burns in an accident that otherwise should not have had that kind of results.
I had several C10's with the tank in the cab. The thing I hated about that is there was now room for some 6x9's.

Back