Vehicle Sighting - 1969ish Datsun 1000

For all the interesting cars I've spotted around here in the last few years, this one grabbed me as much as any other, in part because of its and my history. Japanese cars came to central Canada relatively late compared to BC and Alberta - I imagine this one was brought in from elsewhere.

In the summer of '74 I worked as a busboy at a steak restaurant in Alberta. I had just started driving a few months earlier, and my interest in cars, dormant since early childhood, had taken off like wildfire.

One of my coworkers, a fellow high-school student, let's call him "John", had bought a '69 Datsun 1000 from "Nothing over 999", a used-car dealer which, if still around, has no doubt undergone a few name changes.

Anyway, I was driving a '62 Chevy II at the time. It had a 194 inline-6 engine coupled to a Powerglide. John challenged me to a one-block race late one night. I had no expectations, knowing little about cars. I knew my car was heavier, but also had an engine over three times as large.

The light turned green, and John's Datsun took off leaving me in the dust. He was half a block ahead after a block. What a revelation!

After a while John let me drive the little Datsun, and it was a joy. My previous manual transmission experience involved my driver's ed car (a newish Hornet with a 3-speed on the floor), a '63 Biscayne 3-in-the-tree with no synchro into 1st, and a very decrepit '68 Vauxhall Viva with a dying 4-on-the-floor.

The Datsun was incredible - smooth as butter, and way peppier than the small engine would have led one to imagine. I only drove it around town; I imagine it would have been working hard on the highway.

Anyway, good memories from a long time ago ...

20220705_160435_HDR~2.jpg

20220705_160449~2.jpg

20220705_160508~2.jpg

20220705_160520~2.jpg

I remember cars like this when I was stationed in Japan around 1966 or 1967.
To go to town we went to the enlisted men's club and got into a car like this(I think Toyota) that was diesel and right hand drive.
The drivers drove with their horn and shaking their fist at other drivers.
Talk about culture shock!

I think those had a 1000cc motor, hence the name.

It’s in great shape. I agree, the Datsun manual transmissions shifted like butter.

there were many small imports that shamed the big 3's offerings as they tried to catch up when gas prices went up. rode to work with a guy with an anemic chevette! imports adopted trannys with more gears to help their little engines stay in the power band

The upright side glass should do a lot for giving it a more open feel.

we had a ‘77 b210 automatic. It was an energy crisis car. I heard the MT versions were really nice to have, but as a kid in high school in the late 80s, man I didn’t care for it, mostly because it felt like a death trap! There was no metal around you! The engine was unbelievably solid and the car overall was super reliable and easy on gas.

My girlfriend at the time, early 70's, had a similat car; I think it was a "Datsun 1200" or something. Bigger, but similar. That car was incredible.
I put a set of "FM Radio" tites on it and it went like stink! Dependable, great gas mileage and fun!

The upright side glass should do a lot for giving it a more open feel.

we had a ‘77 b210 automatic. It was an energy crisis car. I heard the MT versions were really nice to have, but as a kid in high school in the late 80s, man I didn’t care for it, mostly because it felt like a death trap! There was no metal around you! The engine was unbelievably solid and the car overall was super reliable and easy on gas.
My Grade 12 math teacher had a '74 B210 with the 4-speed, in Datsun orange. Very nice car.

My girlfriend at the time, early 70's, had a similat car; I think it was a "Datsun 1200" or something. Bigger, but similar. That car was incredible.
I put a set of "FM Radio" tites on it and it went like stink! Dependable, great gas mileage and fun!
I remember the 1200 - it succeeded the 1000, and was in turn superseded by the B210.

That same fellow, John, fried the engine and replaced it one out of a wrecked 1200. Not the original engine's fault - he said he'd looked in rearview mirror and saw a trail of oil on the ground. Oops! He stopped right away, but it was too late. The drain plug had fallen out.

Back