Vehicle Pricing

Used Vehicle prices are out of control. Many vehicles are more than new or within a few thousand of a new vehicle. It seems with higher interest rates that the market should be cooling more than we have seen. Has anyone priced new vehicles? Is it possible to pay invoice or is MSRP on new vehicles the only route?

Is it possible to pay invoice or is MSRP on new vehicles the only route?
The problem is lack of inventory. If you drive by a dealer with an empty lot, you're probably going to be paying MSRP for a vehicle that you're going to have to wait some time to show up. If you find a dealer with cars sitting on the lot, then they'll be more likely to negotiate to clear their inventory.

The problem is lack of inventory. If you drive by a dealer with an empty lot, you're probably going to be paying MSRP for a vehicle that you're going to have to wait some time to show up. If you find a dealer with cars sitting on the lot, then they'll be more likely to negotiate to clear their inventory.
So in other words they are moving to a strategy of "Just in Time" shipping for vehicles to keep prices inflated.

So in other words they are moving to a strategy of "Just in Time" shipping for vehicles to keep prices inflated.
not exactly.. its a consequence.. not a strategy.

selling 1/4 the cars is never good.

I paid msrp on the subaru forester wilderness and got 0.9% financing which is pretty good most were marking them up $3000 over msrp.
Subaru never had a giant markup.. invoice to msrp was at most a couple thousand.

IIRC on my 2015 forester premium it was around 1500$? off msrp when I paid invoice -1%

Now a jeep cherokee that used to sell for 28.5k or 10k off msrp going for 2-3k off msrp or 35k+.. that sucks.

I'd recommend that if you need a car now...
buying a car that never sold at huge discount....at msrp is a decent win in today's market.

Is it possible to pay invoice or is MSRP on new vehicles the only route?
I'm sure many would love the ability to purchase a vehicle at MSRP (at least in my area).
Most are paying thousands of "market adjustment" fees once it's time to take delivery...if they reject the dealers' fee, it'll simply be sold to someone else who's waiting in line.

What are your thoughts on paying mechanic for vehicles that have 60k+ miles? based on prices, im thinking about going for older vehicle. Yay or nay?? Most of us here have some basic mechanical knowledge. I never paid a mwchanic to preinspect.

It's called the market. Everybody wants the best deal; just depends on which side of the deal you are on.
If you are buying from a dealer, just remember the dealer is not your friend.
Craigslist gives any locality an idea of what to price a given car at or what to expect to pay.

Good luck. The only good deals I have seen is within friends and family groups. Otherwise, you are gonna pay.

What are your thoughts on paying mechanic for vehicles that have 60k+ miles? based on prices, im thinking about going for older vehicle. Yay or nay?? Most of us here have some basic mechanical knowledge. I never paid a mwchanic to preinspect.
Find a reputable shop, and it's money well spent. On the hoist, they can spot evidence of an accident, leaks, etc. that might go unnoticed during a test drive.

You did all right here, what happened since then?

Interest rates are rising, so it should cool the market off. That has not happened quite to the extent that most of us want it. Apologies, but I thought you were Tyman.

But accurate. This has been going on for a while now and it's not just automobiles, if someone is surprised at this point then that's a surprise.

And it's not the automaker "keeping prices inflated" either.
I got a stupendously amazing deal on my Prius Prime at the end of Feb '21. The "chip shortage" started really picking up steam (in the news, if not on the street) in March of that year. So it's more like 20 months than 30 that this has been going on.

Back