Vehicle Lighting Fads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During your travels, what unusual (or questionable, or nutty) lighting have you encountered on a passenger vehicle, pickup, or motorcycle? In my local area, I have seen amber LED halos installed around the headlights and fog lights on a midsize pickup, blue LEDs on the undercarriage of a CUV (to give a floating effect?), and green headlights on a Honda Civic.

Wooooo, boy! Here in the middle of florida (just on the east coast from Mr. Nice) every 'good old boy' has no less than what seems like 1,000,000 L.E.Ds lining the front of his pickup.

Just last night at Publix, I passed a mid 90s ranger with every surface on this front lined with L.E.Ds, after market head lights, and a half dozen large spot lights along the roof. If I'd seen it out on a dark road, I might have mistaken it for a U.F.O.

LED valve caps, angel eyes, Lexus lights, tinted so dark dark they're no longer lights, blue interior lights and flashing orange faux emergency lights.

Right now I'm seeing several BLUE led aftermarket headlights driving around.... How they not getting tickets alludes me. Idiots.

Go to Japan. You ain't seen colored lights on vehicles til you've been to Japan!

Cops used to write tickets for "Blue Dot" taillights!!! Holy Cow, times have changed!!

A fad I've noticed lately is not turning your lights on. Drove past a black SUV in the dark on 95 this evening. It had daytime running lights but yo man... no one can see you from behind. I see it every day. Whats up? Its dark! I can only assume the dash lights are dark. You must know your lights aren't on. Are our heads that far up our arse, or have we gotten so narcissistic that you don't need lights?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
A fad I've noticed lately is not turning your lights on. Drove past a black SUV in the dark on 95 this evening. It had daytime running lights but yo man... no one can see you from behind. I see it every day. Whats up? Its dark! I can only assume the dash lights are dark. You must know your lights aren't on. Are our heads that far up our arse, or have we gotten so narcissistic that you don't need lights?

Agreed! I usually flash my high beems but i think only once has someone figured out what i meant..

Cmon, you know that guy was too busy messing with his phone to worry about turning his light on!!!
;^)

A guy who lives on my way home from work covered his pickup with Xmas lights this past season...it looked good, but actually sort of blinded me coming the other way. Think it was the mass of lights more than their individual brightness levels...

underglow is making a comeback here. just this week I've seen two 4x4s with rock lights in the wheelwells, over pavement of course. I think they still write them up here, as it seems like I only see these once or twice and then they are gone for a while. There are several new trucks here with a resurgence in "all things HID." Lifted with 19s, of course.

Almost every day coming home at night.How can you not realize your head lights aren't on.Oh thats right your in another world.Never a cop around then.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that this is highly illegal, possibly a felony for imitating an emergency vehicle or something like that, I've seen a couple BMWs with RGB halos that they leave in gay pride mode, flashing all sorts of colors to distract oncoming drivers.

Short of that, I've seen the stupidest cars with halos and LED borders. It looks cool on a modern looking, higher end car. On a $15k Kia or 2003 F150 it looks like total trash.

It's not technically lighting itself, but full blacked tail lights are possibly the worst mod I can think of for a vehicle. It makes you look like some 14 year old kid who goes home and plays Call of Duty on XBOX while drinking mountain dew, as well as being a huge hazard for cars behind you at night. Blacked out is just distasteful all around, on any component.

In the past month I have encountered 3 Jeep Wranglers with aftermarket LED headlights and LED fog lights lit up in the middle of the day. Blindingly bright, even in daylight. Is this the equivalent of driving around with your pair of 20" subwoofers thumping away?

Actually the case is usually that their gauges are backlit all the time and so the driver goes on auto-pilot. This was an issue with pontiac vibes so they added (semi-reliable) automatic headlights to go with the DRLs. Make DRLS bright enough and the driver won't notice what they're missing. EG tail lights! Seems to be a GM thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back