Vehicle for 6 grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched many of those exceptions being Nissan cause of cvt
Many of our “owners” on Craigslist are dealers.
But I’m looking
BTW 328 water pumps are 1200 bucks. Hard to take for me
And if you lose the head gasket (or buy one with head gasket sealant) it can run 2500.
I assume that’s why they bring nothing at the auction from dealers
The Mercedes E class is more reliable. The 2008-2009 are good years, some of the early 2007 models still had the bad balance shaft. Otherwise nothing really crazy on them, had my 2008 for the last 6 years. The intake manifold tends to go, but that's due to the oil separator/breather cover being worn out and gumming up the flaps. Otherwise regular repairs. What's the minimum year and mileage for Uber?

The Mercedes E class is more reliable. The 2008-2009 are good years, some of the early 2007 models still had the bad balance shaft. Otherwise nothing really crazy on them, had my 2008 for the last 6 years. The intake manifold tends to go, but that's due to the oil separator/breather cover being worn out and gumming up the flaps. Otherwise regular repairs. What's the minimum year and mileage for Uber?
My city is 15 years.., but obviously I don’t want to shop for a new car every year.
My best year would be 2009 or 2010
My buddy with the car lot really wants to move a 50,000 2014 vw Passat Diesel. Loaded and they seem to retail @7499
With NAV leather sunroof
Lot for your money there
I don’t care if it’s slow and in my day diesels were known for being ultra reliable
Thought?

This was pre Rona days, but in 2019 I paid about $6k for our 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6s sedan with just under 40k miles on it. IMO they're an ideal cheap uber vehicle because the back seat is huge and comfortable for a small car.

My city is 15 years.., but obviously I don’t want to shop for a new car every year.
My buddy with the car lot really wants to move a 50,000 2014 vw Passat Diesel. Loaded and they seem to retail @7499
With NAV leather sunroof
Lot for your money there
I don’t care if it’s slow and in my day diesels were known for being ultra reliable
Thought?
The engine will last forever, but there's a lot of emissions stuff that goes bad on the TDI's that will bankrupt you. There's an extended warranty in the meantime but you could be bankrupted on everything else on the car too.

Doesn't Uber require proof of insurance before they will take you on? Get in a wreck and injure/kill a passenger? You aren't welcome on my streets. Stay home and let licensed and insured folks use the roads. Stay home! Stay!Stay!

With NAV leather sunroof
Lot for your money there
Thought?
Nav and Sunroof is standard on the E class, the option is whether you get the pano roof or end up with a standard sunroof. From what I know about diesels, the most recent years are awful, always some emissions related problem that no one knows how to fix because so few diesels are sold. That's why I'd stick with a gasser. The 2010-2011 E class is decent too, but you'd be hard pressed to find one for 7k but maybe with high mileage. Probably more reliable than the 2008/2009 models. You'd probably automatically get good reviews in a Mercedes. Lots of other standard stuff like heated seats, 3 position memory power driver/passenger seats. Even a rear sunshade.

Doesn't Uber require proof of insurance before they will take you on? Get in a wreck and injure/kill a passenger? You aren't welcome on my streets. Stay home and let licensed and insured folks use the roads. Stay home! Stay!Stay!
I think their insurance kicks in once you have a passenger. He does have insurance, just not full insurance, collision and comprehensive is considered optional for a reason because it's optional and not required. So the passenger is covered, just not the car.

What about the older Fusions with the V6? I’ve always liked the looks of those with the rear spoiler and dual exhaust.

not great

the V6 makes its power up high, and the gas mileage is terrible. And like every other transverse V6, impossible to work on.

If you like the Fusion, stick with the I4. The I4 is a Mazda motor; the V6 is made by Ford.

Nav and Sunroof is standard on the E class, the option is whether you get the pano roof or end up with a standard sunroof. From what I know about diesels, the most recent years are awful, always some emissions related problem that no one knows how to fix because so few diesels are sold. That's why I'd stick with a gasser. The 2010-2011 E class is decent too, but you'd be hard pressed to find one for 7k but maybe with high mileage. Probably more reliable than the 2008/2009 models. You'd probably automatically get good reviews in a Mercedes. Lots of other standard stuff like heated seats, 3 position memory power driver/passenger seats. Even a rear sunshade.

I think their insurance kicks in once you have a passenger. He does have insurance, just not full insurance, collision and comprehensive is considered optional for a reason because it's optional and not required. So the passenger is covered, just not the car.
You’re exactly right on the insurance
On the Mercedes
My last one, a 3 year old 98 E wagon seemed to need 700 a month in repairs for the first 6 months
The whole air-conditioning system one piece at a time
Fan- master control in the dash- compressor
Mass air sensor
I remember thinking what kind of a car could I get for a $700 a month payment with a warranty 😂

So you have liability insurance? That's good. Take the $40k you saved on insurance over the years and buy a brand new Toyota minivan. Don't insure it and save a few dollars.

not great

the V6 makes its power up high, and the gas mileage is terrible. And like every other transverse V6, impossible to work on.

If you like the Fusion, stick with the I4. The I4 is a Mazda motor; the V6 is made by Ford.
That's why Mercedes with their AWD or RWD setup is much easier to work on. Plugs are nothing to do. Gas mileage on V6s are always terrible until you get up into DI and then you have more hp and better gas mileage.

You’re exactly right on the insurance
On the Mercedes
My last one, a 3 year old 98 E wagon seemed to need 700 a month in repairs for the first 6 months
The whole air-conditioning system one piece at a time
Fan- master control in the dash- compressor
Mass air sensor
I remember thinking what kind of a car could I get for a $700 a month payment with a warranty 😂
Yeah, that's the problem, the old stuff was bad. As I said earlier, the W212 is way better than the W211. Newer models are even better. Can't compare newer models with older ones. Now if you had bought a used 3 year old Mercedes, if it were CPO, you could have gotten a total of 7 years of CPO warranty with unlimited miles coverage. You mind as well go on about how Hyundai was complete crap when they first came out, who ever heard of an exhaust manifold rusting out? You really need to drill down to the year, even the 2007 E-350 past the balance shaft had issues with camshaft/crankshaft sensors. They were updated so 2008/2009 don't have the same issues.

negotiate the tdi.

mega mpg and emissions warranty makes it a no brainer
I wouldn’t mind it’s a lot of car
Every option including Nav
Although I don’t need to be in the shop every week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back