Vehicle for 6 grand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a mid size about 6000
A great year is 2009 at about $6,000. A undervalued sleeper.

I’m a retired senior and I drive Uber for fun and just stay occupied but I don’t bother with fire, theft and collision. (please don’t turn the thread into a debate about this as I’ve saved 40,000 over the years and have no assets to sue for)

Just had a 08 Sonata Ltd totaled and it was perfect. 90,000 to 140,000 with zero repairs. For me it had the perfect amount of luxury and a great size. The problem is I can’t find a cheap one. Just dealers asking a ton.

I also don’t want to pay 50% premium for Toyota or Honda although I do see a few semi cheap accords

I saw a 2010 loaded Malibu and an impala in this range with about 90,000 miles. Any huge problems here to 200,000?

Any Subaru fit the bill? Seen a few surprisingly cheaper than expected.

Newer 2011 Kia/Hyundai with a new engine. I see a bunch?

Thanks

Last edited:
For six grand I would not be too particuliar. Overall condition and if it fit my needs would be the deciding factors. If you get a few years out of a 6k vehicle, you got your money's worth.
Im with you...
But I could have just bought an exploding Kia had I not read.
Trying to avoid that
I’d like to get 3 to 4 years without a massive repair... Head gasket, engine or transmission

2010 - 2012 Ford Fusion, with the 4 cylinder. Ford collaborated with Mazda on the design and engineering of this car. Lots of Mazda DNA in it.

Last edited:
2009 - 2011 Ford Fusion, with the 4 cylinder. Ford collaborated with Mazda on the design and engineering of this car. Lots of Mazda DNA in it.
On the subject of a 4 cylinder. Way back I had a Kia 4. It couldn’t pass California omissions at 110,000 miles. Valve guides maybe.
Someone said it was basically the same engine that was in a Miata
Is that inherent to the four-cylinder working too hard or that specific vehicle?

I'd look for a Mazda 6 or ford fusion around that age. Were they still making the Mercury Milan in 2009? That may be an odd ball you could get a decent deal on.
Great though on the Mercury
A quick peek shows they did make it but only a few for sale in the whole United States

Ford cv.jpg

Spend a little more money and get a Toyonda.
Little??
50% more than a sonata
100% more than a Buick
(I can get a Buick and a spare)
On my last three cars that math would not have added up to of paid off.
So I’d have to go back a few years and then I couldn’t drive Uber...
Unless you can cover the little money it would cost😃

I can get a Ltd Sonata 93,000 for 4400 (900 miles away) and I may
Avalon for almost 10?

Attachments

• 8B720E3D-FD74-40F8-9B8B-FD8CCD81BFDB.jpg
    8B720E3D-FD74-40F8-9B8B-FD8CCD81BFDB.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 6
The Malibu or Impala would be good cars. If a Cruze is an acceptable size, that may be worth considering as well (1st gen Cruze).

We ran a 2005 Cobalt to well over 300,000 miles before a wreck did it in. It was a really good car except for the transmission had to be replaced a couple of times. First one went out around 30k miles, then the replacement fizzled out around 280k. Not too bad for an inexpensive car that wasn't meant to last that long.

The Malibu or Impala would be good cars. If a Cruze is an acceptable size, that may be worth considering as well (1st gen Cruze).

We ran a 2005 Cobalt to well over 300,000 miles before a wreck did it in. It was a really good car except for the transmission had to be replaced a couple of times. First one went out around 30k miles, then the replacement fizzled out around 280k. Not too bad for an inexpensive car that wasn't meant to last that long.
Did any of those have the intake manifold issues or the dex issues?

What was your go-to oil?

What was your go-to oil?
Never any particular brand, but I would say conventional Maxlife 5W30 or 10W30 at 5k intervals was used over half the time. There was plenty of Pennzoil and regular Valvoline used as well.

The engine was never an issue. Worn out suspension and steering parts, but that is to be expected. Replaced all of the steering stuff (including a new rack) around 300k, and it drove like a new one.

$6,000 will get you a pretty good deal on a Ford Fusion/Lincoln MKZ/Mercury Milan

Other sedan options are Camrys, Avalons, Accords, Altimas, Chargers, GS300s, Optimas, Jettas, Mercedes C300's, G6's, Taurus, and 328i's

$6k will also get you a pretty premium Crown Vic/Towncar/Grand Marquis

You can also get a good deal on a Ford Escape or Trailblazer

The biggest thing would be to look at private party sales (Craigslist & similar) and not dealerships, you're probably going to end up giving a dealership more for less so they can pay for their overhead. Just make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection so you're not getting ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back