Vehicle accidents & resale?

After a very bad front incident(no airbags) in the Colorado(My fault) It got hit again within 2 weeks. Obviously karma is not on my side with this truck. All joking(maybe) aside I am thinking it might be cursed and I should get rid of it while I can. This time it was a small fender bender and literally the same exact fender that just got repaired. The used car market is hot and mechanically the truck is fine otherwise and never an issue. Just can't apparently avoid getting hit, lol.

define very bad front incident? I would thinking anything that is bad or worse would set off airbags?

bad as in $$$$$ to fix or bad as in uh jacked up. ie bent frame etc.

I had a vehicle like that. A red '78 Ford Fiesta.

Everywhere it went something happened to it. Shot in the back end while parked overnight at a hospital, front fender run into by a much larger car that suddenly changed lanes on an icy street, hood dented by a sports fan who wanted a better view, bumper end torn off by a graze at a supermarket, etc. And then a lot of interior parts broke off - door handles, window cranks, heater controls, radio knobs (really)! I couldn't help thinking there was something a bit odd going on.

So I sold it (for a good price) when it was only 2 years old.

A 6 year old truck that has been repaired correctly and has not had an airbag deployment will not likely have the value impacted. A small number of buyers might pass it up, but most won't. By the time a vehicle has hit the 6 year mark, there's a good chance it has been in a fender bender.

define very bad front incident? I would thinking anything that is bad or worse would set off airbags?

bad as in $$$$$ to fix or bad as in uh jacked up. ie bent frame etc.
Bad as in $$$, bent fender support structure but no frame damage otherwise. Rad core supports and the like in the actual center front were unscathed. Also plastic and such is expensive.

The window of people overpaying for used vehicles is closing, in my opinion. In a buyers market you have a 7 year old general motors product with multple accidents. In a sellers market you have a truck, and its for sale, and it moves under its own power, that might be all that matters to somebody.

Now if you sell high, you buy high. Selling lower might have you buying lower as well.

The window of people overpaying for used vehicles is closing, in my opinion. In a buyers market you have a 7 year old general motors product with multple accidents. In a sellers market you have a truck, and its for sale, and it moves under its own power, that might be all that matters to somebody.

Now if you sell high, you buy high. Selling lower might have you buying lower as well.
I contemplated leasing/buying something else newer and just selling it privately for below market just to move it along quicker. Trucks in my area without looking at accident history are priced $5-7k higher than what I'd ask for it. I would also note mine came from Alabama so it is essentially rust free vs. what the NE usually offers.

I contemplated leasing/buying something else newer and just selling it privately for below market just to move it along quicker. Trucks in my area without looking at accident history are priced $5-7k higher than what I'd ask for it. I would also note mine came from Alabama so it is essentially rust free vs. what the NE usually offers.
Be within 10% of NADA retail for a listing price. Many are asking over NADA retail right now.

You must not have seen truck prices the last couple weeks. They are going straight retarded.

The last couple months has been like Pike's Peak. The last 1-3 weeks has been Kilimanjaro.

You must not have seen truck prices the last couple weeks. They are going straight retarded.

The last couple months has been like Pike's Peak. The last 1-3 weeks has been Kilimanjaro.
If you say so. Last night we had the 9 o clock news playing in the back ground, half the commericals were from Ford and GM promoting half ton trucks and their rebates. If it wasn't GM/Ford themselves it was a franchised local dealer buying air time. One of them claiming $8500 off an F150 if you order before Sept 30th. I was skeptical to say the least.

A relative sold a 2015 F150, took weeks and did not sell above NADA at all.

I think its turning back to normal? I know it will eventually.

If you say so. Last night we had the 9 o clock news playing in the back ground, half the commericals were from Ford and GM promoting half ton trucks and their rebates. If it wasn't GM/Ford themselves it was a franchised local dealer buying air time. One of them claiming $8500 off an F150 if you order before Sept 30th. I was skeptical to say the least.

A relative sold a 2015 F150, took weeks and did not sell above NADA at all.

I think its turning back to normal? I know it will eventually.

All one has to do is check their local dealers webpages and local FB marketplace. There's a few Ford F250s lately on FB where they're like 2011-2012 with 150k going for $40-45k. lol

One guy had a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 100k+ asking $25k. Lmao

All one has to do is check their local dealers webpages and local FB marketplace. There's a few Ford F250s lately on FB where they're like 2011-2012 with 150k going for $40-45k. lol

One guy had a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 100k+ asking $25k. Lmao

They can to try to get it. If the new supply really picks up and the incentives come back everyone paying todays prices will be under water.

The used lots are in a dangerous spot right now, having to overpay and hope to sell high. When the bulk new vehicles return the manufacturers can discount them as much as they want.

It is only a matter of time until the new supply returns. 6 months? 12 months? Ford August 2021 Inventory Report shows a lot of F series stock, 94.9 (000) units, i believe they mean to express that as 94.9 thousand trucks. For a frame of reference they only have 5.8 (5800?) ranger stock.

They can to try to get it. If the new supply really picks up and the incentives come back everyone paying todays prices will be under water.

The used lots are in a dangerous spot right now, having to overpay and hope to sell high. When the bulk new vehicles return the manufacturers can discount them as much as they want.

It is only a matter of time until the new supply returns. 6 months? 12 months? Ford August 2021 Inventory Report shows a lot of F series stock, 94.9 (000) units, i believe they mean to express that as 94.9 thousand trucks. For a frame of reference they only have 5.8 (5800?) ranger stock.
They’re getting it, that’s the whole point lol

If it was repaired correctly, why not keep It? My F150 has had multiple repairs. Quite simply I just don’t worry as much now. It looks and works just fine. Nobody can tell as I have 2 new oem Ford doors. I took the time to treat the interior of the replacement doors with rust preventative too.

An issue I have is when an otherwise quality repair has substandard paint work. As over the years it won’t match. I try my best to get quality paint work, which does require some effort. Asking about what products will be used and so on.

If it was repaired correctly, why not keep It? My F150 has had multiple repairs. Quite simply I just don’t worry as much now. It looks and works just fine. Nobody can tell as I have 2 new oem Ford doors. I took the time to treat the interior of the replacement doors with rust preventative too.

An issue I have is when an otherwise quality repair has substandard paint work. As over the years it won’t match. I try my best to get quality paint work, which does require some effort. Asking about what products will be used and so on.
I mean it's a shame because it looked perfect right after the substantial front impact was repaired. I agree, I guess I am just being superstitious lol.

I mean it's a shame because it looked perfect right after the substantial front impact was repaired. I agree, I guess I am just being superstitious lol.
The loss of value due to an accident is real, and if you trade or sell, it's my belief that loss should be covered by insurance.

The side of my F150 was opened up :"tin can style" by mushroom shaped parking bollards. Mama cried for days after she did that. But the repair was superb and with all new OEM parts, ha, they are newer than the rest of the truck. I really can't complain, it's as perfect as an F150 can be. I know today's market is hot, but just a year ago, the truck would have taken a $4-5000 hit for having such a major repair, both RH doors and bed.

For sake of discussion, let's say somebody ran a red light and did the same damage. Should I be responsible for lost value? I emphatically say no!

My daughter's civic has a target painted on it. Didnt have 6 months and it was scraped on both sides of the front bumper cover in parking lots. A few months later a piece of fire wood fell off a truck on the interstate and destroyed the entire under cladding. A couple months later a large rock put a good size dent in the center of the hood and took out the windshield.
My BIL buys and repairs wrecks as a side hustle and has been able to source all parts to replace the damaged parts except for the windshield of course.
As for the OP truck I'd keep it as long as it fits his needs.

Last edited:
Collision repairs are expensive. A simple fender bender is going to set you back far more than you think.

If the truck suits your needs just stick with it.

Back