VEGEMITE: very tasty

Cost Plus World Market carries it. You can also buy it on Amazon.
No Cost Plus World Market here ... :(

I did try an offbeat ethnic market here, which carries Indian and Carribean food. Thought the British Commonwealth influence might have shown up there in the form of Vegemite, but no luck.

But that's OK - I can get my Marmite at Co-op or Superstore.

Would really like to do a blind taste test comparing Marmite and Vegemite though.

No Cost Plus World Market here ... :(

I did try an offbeat ethnic market here, which carries Indian and Carribean food. Thought the British Commonwealth influence might have shown up there in the form of Vegemite, but no luck.

But that's OK - I can get my Marmite at Co-op or Superstore.

Would really like to do a blind taste test comparing Marmite and Vegemite though.
The Marmite shortage hasn't hit you guys yet?
http://ex-shammickite.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-marmite-crisis.html
Also, I presume you also just have access to the 250g jars like the rest of Canada.
Here on the west coast with the higher number of European population, the shortage is still a real thing.
Last December, I scoured four grocers in downtown Vancouver before I found the last two jars available.

The Marmite shortage hasn't hit you guys yet?
http://ex-shammickite.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-marmite-crisis.html
Also, I presume you also just have access to the 250g jars like the rest of Canada.
Here on the west coast with the higher number of European population, the shortage is still a real thing.
Last December, I scoured four grocers in downtown Vancouver before I found the last two jars available.
Aieee! Scared by your post warning of shortages, I hiked through winter's last hurrah (sloppy wet snow and high winds) and picked up four jars at Superstore.

Unfortunately I've only seen the 125 ml jars here, but the four of them should keep me going for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the linked article - I enjoyed it, and the comments, very much.

@Oillover, well, now the shortages have hit home ... walked over to Superstore this evening, and they had no Marmite at all. Besides the four jars I bought a few weeks ago, I could have bought a flat of 12 at the time, but thought I shouldn't buy them out. Live and learn!

Will try Co-op tomorrow. If they're out too, then I'll have to buy online. :(

@Oillover, well, now the shortages have hit home ... walked over to Superstore this evening, and they had no Marmite at all. Besides the four jars I bought a few weeks ago, I could have bought a flat of 12 at the time, but thought I shouldn't buy them out. Live and learn!

Will try Co-op tomorrow. If they're out too, then I'll have to buy online. :(
Ah yes, I know the feeling. Sorry to hear :(

We have a friend who makes cakes and I really wanted a Marmite buttercream cake for my birthday.
Thing is, the recipe calls for a whole tablespoon of it, and that would wipe out my Marmite ration in a flash.

I've heard of the online larger jars available.
I've also heard some reviews state that it's "sanitarium" sized, and that it's possibly more "runny" than the original smaller jars.

Ah yes, I know the feeling. Sorry to hear :(

We have a friend who makes cakes and I really wanted a Marmite buttercream cake for my birthday.
Thing is, the recipe calls for a whole tablespoon of it, and that would wipe out my Marmite ration in a flash.

I've heard of the online larger jars available.
I've also heard some reviews state that it's "sanitarium" sized, and that it's possibly more "runny" than the original smaller jars.
Woo! Tried Co-op yesterday, found nine 125 ml jars in stock, and bought them all. That should keep me going for close to two months.

Nine x 125 ml = 1125 cc. I've driven a couple of cars with less displacement than that. This is apropos of absolutely nothing. :unsure:

i have enjoyed working with aussies but no, just no, on vegemite, sorry. to me vegemite is like durian. it can be eaten, but why.

Woo! Tried Co-op yesterday, found nine 125 ml jars in stock, and bought them all. That should keep me going for close to two months.

Nine x 125 ml = 1125 cc. I've driven a couple of cars with less displacement than that. This is apropos of absolutely nothing. :unsure:
May I ask how much do you consume on a daily/weekly basis?

i have enjoyed working with aussies but no, just no, on vegemite, sorry. to me vegemite is like durian. it can be eaten, but why.
Who cares as to why. Don’t like it, don’t hate it and don’t eat it. I personally like a bit of it on toast with a over easy egg

May I ask how much do you consume on a daily/weekly basis?
I've been going through approximately three of the small (125 ml) jars per fortnight. I suppose that's 83.3 ml weekly. 😁 Although I love savory things in general, I wonder whether I've developed a craving specifically for the "ite" (Marmite/Vegemite/Promite/Megamite) food group due a Vitamin B12 deficiency. We've been eating mostly vegan at home for the pass number of weeks.

Who cares as to why. Don’t like it, don’t hate it and don’t eat it. I personally like a bit of it on toast with a over easy egg
Being someone who probably couldn't tell the difference between a fine wine and a melted popsicle, I suspect I'd like Vegemite just fine. Had it in NZ while chaperoning a school trip, and was pleasantly surprised. I'd really like to do a blind taste test of the two. Can't find Vegemite here at all.

I'm sure Oillover is kidding - there's lots of light-hearted Marmite vs Vegemite discussion online. It's a bit like a sports rivalry.

Number_35: I know vegemite is acquired taste but I took #18fan idea and put two over medium eggs with homemade bread, spinach and some melindas green sauce for a morning treat somedays. It won’t kill me

Cost Plus World Market near me sells a jar for 9 bucks.

Figure best to mix a bit with melted butter and brush it on toast.

Curious, and hopeful that I may enjoy

I've been going through approximately three of the small (125 ml) jars per fortnight. I suppose that's 83.3 ml weekly. 😁 Although I love savory things in general, I wonder whether I've developed a craving specifically for the "ite" (Marmite/Vegemite/Promite/Megamite) food group due a Vitamin B12 deficiency. We've been eating mostly vegan at home for the pass number of weeks.
Wow. I understand the appeal and all (I've consumed it since childhood), but personally, a jar will usually last me (my wife and I) almost a year.
Other than on toast, how else to you enjoy it? Are you the only one in the your household who enjoys it?

Number_35: I know vegemite is acquired taste but I took #18fan idea and put two over medium eggs with homemade bread, spinach and some melindas green sauce for a morning treat somedays. It won’t kill me
Sounds great!
Wow. I understand the appeal and all (I've consumed it since childhood), but personally, a jar will usually last me (my wife and I) almost a year.
Other than on toast, how else to you enjoy it? Are you the only one in the your household who enjoys it?
I've been eating it on ancient-grains (spelt/kamut) toast with butter or olive oil, probably at least two slices a day.

Yes, I'm the only Marmite/Vegemite consumer in our home at present, although during her pregnancy with our first child, my wife had a craving for Vegemite (which was not hard to get here then). Likely the B-vitamin thing again.

The only thing that I'd be concerned with, is excessive sodium intake. Marmite is loaded with the stuff.

Considering your vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, another alternative would be a sublingual B supplement.
That way you can get the b vitamins in their purest form.

Then you can send me some of your Marmite stash :sneaky:

I kid ;)

The only thing that I'd be concerned with, is excessive sodium intake. Marmite is loaded with the stuff.

Considering your vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, another alternative would be a sublingual B supplement.
That way you can get the b vitamins in their purest form.

Then you can send me some of your Marmite stash :sneaky:

I kid ;)
I've wondered whether there are any negatives associated with high salt consumption if one does not have high blood pressure. (Having said that, Canadian Blood Services used to take my blood pressure every time I donated, but they've discontinued that in the last year or so, so I have no idea whether my BP is still good.)

But seriously, if you can't get this essential food there, PM me, and if it's still available at Co-op, I'd be glad to send you some.

Back