Vege based oils - when ?? (Terry, Molakule)???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at these veggie oils for a while. Talked to a couple of outfits. None of them would reccomend going more than a 3000 mi oci with them. price is 4+ dollars per quart. They may be as good as g4/g5 but if I have to change the oil every 3k, it doesn't make any sense not going with a mobil 1 or similar oil for at least twice the oci.
dunno.gif

Unsaturated vege oil may be better for your insides, but not your car. Unlike paraffins, PAO's, esters, and any other base stock, if you heat pure unsaturated vegetable oil especially in the presence of air, it polymerizes to a solid. As a motor oil, it asks too much of the additives. Try this: pour a little of what ever you can spare from your oil shrine in a paper cup, and some of your wife's cooking oil in another. Dip your soldering iron in the motor oil and pull it out and turn it on. The oil will boil off giving an oily smell. Then the vege oil. It will give off a burned smell, and leave a dark residue on the soldering iron.

OK, it is a severe test, and I skewed it, using Pennzoil and cheap cooking oil from Aldi's. Do you think Mazola and whatever cheap SF you found would work differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back