veg. oil and acetone added to fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! for no real reason i decided to mix 1 cup of vegetab le oil with the standard dosage of acetone, and then put the mixture into the gas tank. the engine runs smoother, is there any harm to come from doing this?

If you had dirty fuel injectors, it may have cleaned them. The oil won't evaporate, and will stick around long enogh to soften deposits. It will eventually gum up. Could turn into a problem in an engine that sits much.

that doesnt seem too bad! the engine is very clean inside and out it was a low mile replacement from japan. the heads and crankcase are new-aluminum silver and the intake ports when i had the intake manifold off were very clean. japan must have cleaner gas because where the fuel injector sprays and the intake valve face was very clean. i just figure people use veg oil as biodiesel so a little bit of veg oil in the gas could help lube the upper cylinder nicely. if there is the potential of deposits and gunk, then i probably wont do it again, but the engine is much happier it seems

Max,
If you convert the oil to esters (biodiesel), then you are doing a positive thing.

Plain vegetable oil will likely lead to gummy deposits at some stage (like the gunk around the mouth of an old oil bottle discovered at the back of the pantry, or the linseed oil protective coating on timber.

If you insist in adding oil to the gas for "upper cylinder" lubrication...at least add oil that is designed to burn and burns with less residue. 2-stroke oil, Marvel Mystery oil...etc.

But why? No proven benifit. Ditto on the Acetone.

http://www.mpgresearch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2015&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

"I'm currently doing 1qt to a daytona tank (13 or 14 gallons). Plus Acetone at 3oz per 10gal.

I used just soy veggy oil last 3 times to brake the myth about canola oil. Paid 1.25 a qt at Biglotts.

Filled up 3 days ago and we had 40's at night and 70's to low 80's during the day and my tank average display is showing 30.1mpg. It is normally at least 4mpg off from the actual.

Other sucesses here at work:

Ford festiva was 38 now 44

Late Jeep wrangler 2.5L was 15 to 16, now 18 to 20."

These last two are 38 % and 22% mpg gains. The iso would maybe help offset the ethanol/acetone issue. I still say SMOKE though...unless the oil is being burned. Good idea to pull a plug and check for oil?

note: I intend to test this eventually...probably using 91%
iso alcohol at 2.3 oz per 10 gallons...which I've already seen a gain from...test at your own risk. I'd use 24 oz canola to 10 gallons with the iso.

Some test...some talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back