Veedol oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Primus mentioned this in another thread, but I think it deserves its own post. Check out Veedol's web site. These oils appear to be the same oils that Castrol offers in Europe under the Castrol brand. I looked at the spec sheet for the Syntron 0w30 and it is IDENTICAL to the SLX, right down to the color: green.

Why would Castrol produce and sell these oils under a different name/company?
confused.gif

Through a little searching on Google I've been able to determine that Veedol oils are indeed produced by Castrol at Hamburg, Germany. Turns out that Veedol was an American oil company that first set up an office in Hamburg in 1925. Through various M&A's, Veedol wound up being part of Getty, which sold all of its European oil businesses to Burmah in the early 70s. Burmah consolidated production with Castrol, and BP (which bought Burmah in 2000) has maintained the consolidation of production while marketing the two brands separately.

G-Man II,

Excellent research...thanks for sharing it...a perplexing marketing situation UNLESS Castrol and Veedol have both developed brand loyalty and so they hang on to the separate lines even though chemically they are the same stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I can't read german, and you guys are killing me with all these german websites.
banghead.gif
cheers.gif

Just hold the text up to a mirror...
grin.gif
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Used to buy Veedol in the early seventies when it was a Getty brand. Was able to get it from the distributor/wholesaler by the case when I lived in Milwaukee. Tydol gas, Veedol oil-- right?

[ October 04, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

Why would Castrol produce and sell these oils under a different name/company?

Probably pure marketing given many Germans do not digest Castrol name. For the first time I saw Veedol brand at Honda service in Dusseldorf in 2000: - What is this ? - Oh, das ist fantastischen, not like some Castrol or Mobil ! Coming back I could find that Castrol and Veedol are partners and Veedol sells Castrol oils under their brand.

Nothing common with quality, but it's interesting to look at BMW AG TIS - 2003 that specifies approved oils and their manufacturers/suppliers:

Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30 - Castrol International
Veedol Syntron 0W-30 - Veedol International
Veedol Powertron 0W-30 - Kuweit Petroleum
Q8 Formula Special 0W-30 - Veedol
Castrol TXT Softec+ 5W-30 - Castrol
Veedol Powertron 5W-30 - Veedol

Here you can see the name of Kuweit Petroleum. It manufactures/blends and sells oils in Europe under the brand name of "Q8" (www.Q8Oils.com, but the most full info, including Product Data Sheets and MSDS presented on their Denmark page: http://www.q8.dk/productservice/selectProductCategory.do?cat=0&catName=Motorolier )

I noticed that Q8 products (0W-30 and 5W-30) have product data very similar to those of Castrol API SJ sold in E.E. in 2000-2002. It may be wrong, but I don't deny possibility that KW aslo blended and sold Castrol products under Q8 brand. If my supposition is correct then, for those who especially likes esters, it would be sweet to hear that Q8 0W-30 MSDS specifies PAO + Esters as a base stock.

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
If my supposition is correct then, for those who especially likes esters, it would be sweet to hear that Q8 0W-30 MSDS specifies PAO + Esters as a base stock.

The specs for their SJ rated 0w30 are very similar to the SJ rated SLX 0w30. And the MSDS lists "Polyalfaolefiner og synthetiske estere" as the main ingredient.

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:

I noticed that Q8 products (0W-30 and 5W-30) have product data very similar to those of Castrol API SJ sold in E.E. in 2000-2002. It may be wrong, but I don't deny possibility that KW aslo blended and sold Castrol products under Q8 brand. If my supposition is correct then, for those who especially likes esters, it would be sweet to hear that Q8 0W-30 MSDS specifies PAO + Esters as a base stock.

Sorry to bring somehow a confusion into our discussion referring to Q8 oils. Its 0W-30 oil has really similar data with previous version (API SJ) of Castrol, but not full, including the color. All Castrol SLX 0W-30 sold here was always of greenish (I would say fluorescent) color. So, similar data can be just a coincidence. The thought about possibility (only) of the same oil at KW too was based on the info from BMW TIS indicating Veedol and KW blend oils for each other. But this may be a misprint.

As for Veedol and Castrol 0W-30 their products data sheets are matching 100 % in both API SL and SJ specifications. Considering their official partnership we can be sure they sell the same oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back