Vavoline 5w20 with 5881 miles - 1997 Subaru Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If challinging your points and asking for more than just pure conjecture is "going off on a tangent" then what's point of these forums? I guess it's also entertaining to sit back and watch the plot unravel here. Keep it coming...
35.gif

Was this Valvoline white bottle from a store or did you have it changed at a service station making this Valvoline bulk?

You could try to mix the 5w20 with some Valvoline Synpower 5w40 for a synthetic blend.

In that way you would use up the 5w20 for a longer OCI and not risk the wear problems associated with the VWB 5w20 and it's very weak add pack. Just a suggestion....that's what I would do if I was sitting on a stash of weak oil.

Just mix the VWB with the Valvoline Synthetic Synpower in a 50/50 proportion. Same Family of Oils and SynPower, although not overpowering, should compliment the Dino and give you a nice blend.

Last edited:
Here's another question:

What would a TAN number here indicate?

Does anyone know if a TAN from a UOA could indicate a trending condition in the engine itself or is it just saying the oil is acidic? Is there any lingering acidity by allowing an oil to get so low on TBN(for however long it may be) that TAN grows at dangerous rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back