? vavloline sny or napa gold filter the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
just did oil change on 02 ram w/ 4.7. usually use M-1 and purolator filters. Napa had valvoline syn on sale so i tried it this time and got a napa gold filter. my start up ticking is much louder now and lasts longer. is it the filter or the oil. thanks for your input

welcome2.gif

How much longer is the startup ticking? Did you use the same weight of oil as before?

If it bothers you to much to wait until the next OCI swap out the lowest cost variable, the filter, with your old brand and see if the startup ticking changes. Be sure to top off the oil with synpower so only one variable is changed.

thats exactly what i thought of trying. the tick is about 30 sec longer. thanks i will try tonight

You've peaked my curiosity, Smtreinen. Wix (NAPA) Gold is a pretty darn good filter, so if you decide to change the filter, how about come back and let us know if it made a difference.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
curious for my knowledge, how does a filter cause ticking in the valvetrain?

Two possibilities: The anti-drain back valve may not be functioning as intended and, thus, it takes a moment or two to refill the filter and restore normal oil pressure, or the filter may be working too well, restricting the flow of oil on start-up. Either would be unusual for a quality filter. That's why I'm hoping the OP will come back and tell whether he changed his filter and, if so, whether it made a difference.

Try a purolator premium or motorcraft and see if it goes away. My guess is, it will.

problem resolved, i changed the filter to a purolator, topped off w/ valvoline synpower.i started it up then let it sit for 3 hours and started again. the ticking is much less and for a shorter time like it was before. the oil wt. has always been 5w30 to answer one repliers ?. the napa gold filter seemed ok, had plenty of oil in it also. i don't know maybe i just got a bad filter, i've used them before on my focus w/ no problem. thanks for all the help. this site is great. i have learned alot from it and its users.

I`d go buy a case of OEM filters from the dealership to keep on hand and use those only. I always use OEM filters only.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d go buy a case of OEM filters from the dealership to keep on hand and use those only. I always use OEM filters only.

You can buy Motorcraft, AC Delco and Mopar filters at my Wolly-World. I get them there on the cheap. The dealer would probably be 3x-4x more.

It happens with filters sometimes. There isn't one brand of filter that doesn't produce a dud once in a while. Glad it's resolved.

I'd take the filter back to NAPA, and tell them what you experienced with it.

Especially so if you still have the receipt and the box,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back