VAT on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/26/AR2009052602909.html
Quote:
A VAT is a tax on the transfer of goods and services that ultimately is borne by the consumer. Highly visible, it would increase the cost of just about everything, from a carton of eggs to a visit with a lawyer. It is also hugely regressive, falling heavily on the poor. But VAT advocates say those negatives could be offset by using the proceeds to pay for health care for every American -- a tangible benefit that would be highly valuable to low-income families.

Quote:
The federal budget deficit is projected to approach $1.3 trillion next year, the highest ever except for this year, when the deficit is forecast to exceed $1.8 trillion. The Treasury is borrowing 46 cents of every dollar it spends, largely from China and other foreign creditors, who are growing increasingly uneasy about the security of their investments. Unless Congress comes up with some serious cash, expanding the nation's health-care system will only add to the problem.

Quote:
Though the nation's fiscal outlook is grim, Burman said "the situation will have to get more desperate" before lawmakers are likely to consider a new levy aimed directly at the pocketbooks of every one of their constituents.

Most lawmakers are still looking for "a painless source of revenue" to overhaul the health-care system and dig the nation out of debt, Burman said. "Who knows?" he added. "Maybe the tooth fairy will bring that to them."

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I thought taxing consumption was the ultimate "transparent", and "fair" tax scheme.

Sure, as long as they get rid of the 16th Amendment first...

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I thought taxing consumption was the ultimate "transparent", and "fair" tax scheme.

Sure, as long as they get rid of the 16th Amendment first...

Oh...oh, my fine feudal aristocratic militia member, you didn't seem to object to tax cuts that were doled out WITHOUT elimination of spending. Why would you insist on an immediate conversion??

No "hey, wait a minute!!" when they were handed out.
grin2.gif

(start whistling that theme, folks
56.gif
)

Fair tax I think, what is your problem Tempest?

Didn't you want the user of services and goods to bear the expense? Rather than how much each individual has?

Or you just don't want to pay taxes no matter how you cut it?

So, it's conditional wherever you see it proper ..and unconditional ..where you see it proper.

Did I get that right???

crackmeup2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Um, does this come with or without the income tax, social security tax, medicare tax, and the proposed cap 'N trade tax?

Well, I guess we could just keep going like we're going.

I saw one clown that wanted to tax electronic revenue transfers (all types) ..naturally giving lower rates to bulk transaction types (banks ..etc.). Now this "bulk" thing works where there's actually a cumbersome method to account for the individual type of thing ..but given that "bulk" transmissions ..and their accounting ..should end up being calculated in the millisecond of time ..and require NO LABOR ..I don't see the discount thing or rather the penalty thing for the individual.

but, But, BUT, there was suppose to be NO tax increases on 95% of the people!

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

15.gif

fair and tax together!
I have no problem in paying tax but it is the wastage of my hard earned money which I have problem with.

the aristocratic citizens or wannabes, pray tell who should be paying for the trilions of paisa of deficit?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
but, But, BUT, there was suppose to be NO tax increases on 95% of the people!

There is that joke of the century. It's funny the intellectual types fell for that!!

I'd rather have richer Americans that can afford to float their own boat. I really don't think anybody wants to pay for anything, but they sure like the benefits of them.

Some just figure that there will be roads ..and that if they can avoid paying for them in one manner or another, they'll still get built and repaired.

The main theme is that everyone wants distinction in avoiding assessed costs ..yet ignore that higher costs are due to their personal distinction above the masses.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

I have no problem in paying tax but it is the wastage of my hard earned money which I have problem with.

That is my rub with what's going on. FINE, you want government health care, social security etc., then use the funds raised for those programs FOR THOSE PROGRAMS! Not for rubber dog [censored] programs like studying endangered mice along railroad tracks.

Last edited:
Hey, pal! I happen to know a few people who study endangered mice along railroad tracks. They're good people
21.gif
Don't they deserve a living
21.gif
frown.gif
54.gif

grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back