varnishing and ring sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have an older vehicle which already has varnish and the rings are possibly sticking, what's the best way to clean it up? Would running a synthetic with good cleaning ability, like Mobil 1 do it by itself, or does it require a flush of some sort?

Use Auto-RX to flush it! After the AUto-Rx treatment is done before you change the oil remove the spark plugs and soak the pistons down with B-12 chemtool. let this soak over night.

The next day reinstall plugs and fire up the engine. Once the any smokeing is gone shut it off and drain the oil. Replace oil with a good synthetic like Redline, AMsoil, Mobil-1 etc... and you should not have any more issues with ring sticking.

Ring sticking is usualy cased from over heating an engine. It can also be cuased by cheap light weight dino oil being used for sustained high speed drive, too long of an oil chang interval with cheap light weight oil, oil additives like lucas and no smoke, or a combination of the above and general neglect.

Thanks John. Good info.

Got another question for you (or anybody else with the knowledge):

Seems to me lots of people wanna avoid large spread oils because VI breakdown can cause varnishing. I'm just wondering if this is a big deal if we just do an Auto RX treatment, say, every 30k miles. VW recommends large spreads (5w-40) and I'd rather stick to their recommendations. But I have chosen not to and run either 0w-30 or 5w-30 now because I don't wanna see the shearing from using the 5w-40.

Now I'm thinkin....maybe I'll just go back to 5w-40 and then do Auto RX every 30k or so. Any thoughts?

[ January 31, 2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

So long as it is a synthetic 5W40 you should not have to much to worry about. Delvac-1, M1 SUV 5W40, Redline 5W40........should all do well!

If money is really tight you can even try the Rotella-T Synthetic( really a group III) at Walmart for $12.99.

P.S. Just do not run synthetic with Auto-Rx Frank claims the additve chemistry of synthetics interferes with Auto-Rx.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
So long as it is a synthetic 5W40 you should not have to much to worry about. Delvac-1, M1 SUV 5W40, Redline 5W40........should all do well!

John,
What if I'm running a 5w-40 that *does* shear like Synpower? I like the oil because my wear numbers are great, but the shearing disturbs me. But with 30k Auto RX treatments, would it matter?

Marvel Mystery oil through the spark plug holes, left overnight, might free the rings at 1/10 the price of ARX.

Prepare for a James-bond style smokescreen getaway though.

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:

John,
What if I'm running a 5w-40 that *does* shear like Synpower? I like the oil because my wear numbers are great, but the shearing disturbs me. But with 30k Auto RX treatments, would it matter?

What about using LC....or a maintanance dose of RX with every change?

As a fellow 'Dub' owner, I also am wondering about shearing since I'm considering switching to the Rotella T 5w40 at the next oil change. However, I've also heard that the Rotella is also great at 'cleaning' up the top end of the engine. Does anyone that's been around a while care to elaborate about this?

Thanks,
Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back