Various Harley fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
The SSTL does appear to be a specialty formulated oil. You might try Redline 75W90 or Schaeffer's #267 (moly-based EP) for this one. If the SSTL cannot take a moly-based EP fluid, then the #741 might suffice.

For the other two (the Sport-Trans and Chaincase), a 15W40 like Amsoil AME 15W40, Delvac 1300, or Schaeffer's #700 should suffice.

OK gang, don't be turned away by the subject. It's just oil even though it may go in a motorcycle. I beleive that there are suitable replacements for this stuff at a reasonable price and value everyone's opinion as to what they might be. That being said here are the VOA's. They were done by ANA Labs (I know ... let's just take them at face value. They were cheap - $35 postage included for all three - and for a non-critical purpose. It did take almost four weeks to get them though.) Items not listed were 0's. Unfortunately the lab did not give visc @ 40C. Apparently I didn't pay for a TBN or TAN.

Semi-Synthetic
Transmission Lube

Silicon - 0
Boron - 128
Magnesium - 1
Calcium - 4
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 440
Zinc - 2
Visc @ 100C - 21.6

Sport-Trans Fluid

Silicon - 0
Boron - 0
Magnesium - 0
Calcium - 118
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 365
Zinc - 956
Visc @ 100C - 13.69

Primary Chaincase
Lube

Silicon - 1
Boron - 101
Magnesium - 8
Calcium - 1693
Barium - 0
Phosphorus - 706
Zinc - 1243
Visc @ 100C - 14.2

The Semi-Synthetic Transmission Lube (SSTL) is recommended for Harley transmissions that do not share a sump with anything. It cost over $8.00/qt. Recommended change interval is 5K mi but I do it at the same time as I change oil, apx 3K mi. Of course Harley, Mobil and Amsoil all now say that their synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil can be used everywhere, but it is just as expensive (maybe Amsoil would be a little less) as the SSTL. Is this stuff a plain vanilla gear lube, maybe 75/80w90 stuff? Golden American/Spectro market a GL1 rated 75w140 synthetic gear lube and a GL5 rated 80w90 hypoid gear lube specifically for Harley transmissions. Anybody think most any GL1 or GL5 will suffice, especially when changed at 3K to 5K intervals?

Even though I don't have a Sportster (shared chaincase, clutch, tranny sump) I had the Sport-Trans Fluid anaylzed to see it it would be a suitable replacement for the SSTL since it is only a little over $3/qt and since I had some. It has a color and odor very similar to the SSTL. Seems like it is a little different though. (This is the application where Bob used Schaffers 239s 30 wt gear lube.) Other than the chaincase-clutch thing, the transmissions can't be that much different, can they? Any thoughts on using this instead of the SSTL?

The Primary Chaincase Lube is for lubricating the primary chain (transferring power from the engine crankshaft to the transmission). The clutch is also bathed in this fluid. This stuff looks more like motor oil than the other stuff. The Golden American/Spectro folks even call their 85 weight version of this a 10w40 equivalent. I've read comments on other forums - or maybe here - suggesting it is motor oil. The Chaincase Lube may be in the $3/qt+ range or it may even be $5/qt. Any suitable replacements recommended?

Anybody up to the challenge? The mental exercise may do you good!

Would really like to use the Redline stuff instead of the SSTL but can't find it here and the economics don't justify mail ordering it. Any of you Redline dealers know where I can buy it here in the Heart of Dixie.

They look a lot like Caterpillar TO-4 fluids in the SAE 40-50 range to me.
Interesting that the semi-syn trans has only 2PPM zink, which would make it a zink-free lubricant, unless that was .2%/wt and not 2ppm. No anti-foam which is good for film strength.
I wodner if Esso's Teresstic 220 (ground level) industrial gear oil......

[ September 10, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:
Would really like to use the Redline stuff instead of the SSTL but can't find it here and the economics don't justify mail ordering it. Any of you Redline dealers know where I can buy it here in the Heart of Dixie.

Have you spoken to the site supporter myoilshop.com? I found their prices to be surprisingly reasonable and the service was great...

$0.02,
Robert

quote:

Have you spoken to the site supporter myoilshop.com? I found their prices to be surprisingly reasonable and the service was great...

Very attractive price, but it's the shipping ($5+ on a quart of oil) that makes it economically unfeasible. I don't need massive quantities so a bulk purchase is ruled out. If I can't find a dealer here, there's one 90 miles up the road I can try to find next time I'm that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back