Variation in idle smoothness with different TC-W3 brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any TC-W3 users noticed any variation in engine idle behavior with different brands of TC-W3 oil?

I'm new to this gas spiking, apart from MMO on & off over the years. My '07 4Runner got MMO at the recommended 4oz/10gal dose on & off since I bought it last year at 163K miles with a worn-out timing chain. Back then with or without MMO, it idled as un-smoothly as my previous Tacoma 4 cylinder. Not annoying or harsh, but it was easy to tell that the engine was running at idle. MMO made no detectable improvement in idle smoothness, and MPG data was limited to the dashboard average MPG display which showed no discernible improvement in fuel mileage at the time.

After the entire timing kit was replaced, idle smoothness with MMO was so good I had to check the tach to see if the engine was running. Both with AC on and off. This was unexpected, as I had assumed that the VVT system had been compensating for the chain elongation.

Last week I discontinued MMO and started my TC-W3 regimen with Quicksilver oil at 1oz/5gal, clearly visible TC-W3 logo on the front of the bottle. No immediate change in behavior, but it had 1/4 tank (~8 gal estimated based on 23 gal tank capacity) of MMO mixed gas when I filled it. I loaded 3oz of Quicksilver and it took 15.37gal of gas...very close to 1oz/5gal.

No immediately noticeable change in idle smoothness over that tank of gas that I could detect, until over the weekend when I was idling in gear at a drive-thru window...I could feel the engine running. No harsh vibration, I turned off the AC and could still feel the slight harmonic vibration in the steering wheel and seat. Still smoother than it was with the worn-out timing chain and MMO in the gas, but noticeably less smooth at idle with the new timing set and with MMO in the gas.

I started this week on tank #2, refilled at 1/4 on the gauge. Again 3oz of Quicksilver went into the tank, this time it took 15.71 gallons of gas. It's a 16oz Quicksilver bottle and I'll continue to run it until it's gone.

Should I try a different brand of TC-W3, and any recommendations if so? Lots of reading here on SuperTech, Pennzoil, etc. but I didn't find any comparative observations. I won't go higher than 1oz/5gal (640:1), might try a lower rate for tank #3 and see how it responds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
How about you stop all additives and wait a few tanks and see if it's smooth??

Also a viable next step after the Quicksilver run is complete. The engine, other than all the new timing components, has 185K miles on it so anything is possible.

I've run QSilver and all others without issue..I'd keep going for a couple months then pull a spark plug if still present...Your probably in the process of cleaning up some old deposits.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I've run QSilver and all others without issue..I'd keep going for a couple months then pull a spark plug if still present...Your probably in the process of cleaning up some old deposits.

Interesting theory, and it runs counter to the thinking here on BITOG that MMO is a more effective cleaner than TC-W3...I'd been running MMO in the gas for nearly 4K miles since the timing system rebuild in early July, mostly highway work commuting plus a vacation trip. I don't disagree, it sounds possible that TC-W3 is cleaning where MMO didn't.

I wouldn't call this an "issue" as the truck runs very well, LTFT values are balanced to within 0.78% at idle and cruising speeds, and if it hadn't idled smoother with MMO it's unlikely I'd know the difference with this TC-W3. It gets same or slightly better fuel mileage as my '09 Subaru Forester with H-4 engine based on my gas receipts (gallons filled, not $).

I put approximately 1800 miles per month during normal work commuting, again mostly highway. Plus another hundred or two in town, so I refill gas 2x weekly at the 1/4 tank mark usually at the same two BP stations. 3x weekly w/ the Subaru as it has a smaller gas tank.

I'm thinking I'll finish this QSilver bottle, then discontinue spiking for a tank or 2 and gauge idle smoothness. If no change versus QSilver, I'll resume MMO and see if the idle super-smoothness returns...and go from there. Might try a different TC-W3 for the subsequent round. This is all really a fun set of experiments, with the new timing set it's already smoother and nicer to drive than the Subaru so it's a win either way.

One point of certainty: at 184K miles the piston crowns, combustion chambers, and whatnot are cruddy. Running regular gas will not likely change this, and chewing up 93 octane with spiffy detergents at my rate is not economically feasible. If I can safely reduce the carbon via MMO or TC-W3, super-smooth idle or not, it's good thing.

When you had timing chain issues the 4.0L wasn't running perfect I'd suspect... which lends it's self to deposits and now your working through all that..given time we know the TC-W3 result, hang in there....the fuel today, and I assume your E1087 I really think is not all that bad in that it burns cleaner. Adding the TC-W3 lubricity and cleaner to the upper cylinder and fuel system is about the best scenario we can achieve at this time.

took the Civic for a spin today...386mi...flawless, never missed a beat and plenty curvy CR, 50% I-43 75-80..all said and done 42mpg. on the oversized UHP rubber, air on, moonroof tilted...I'm running strong at 33k.

This is good info, thanks. It's a fun experiment. I picked up a quart of Pennzoil Premium Plus TC-W3 at Wal-Mart last night for $4.77, one cent less than the QSilver half quart cost.

This will have been an approximately 80 gallon experiment with QSilver, or ~1600 miles of use. After running MMO for ~4K miles since the timing repair and on/off for 11K miles before that.

I've got 2 more fillups worth of QSilver left in the bottle, then back to no spiking for 1-2 refills to gauge any change in behavior. Then decide between MMO or the Pennzoil TC-W3.

Update: Interesting observation on the TC-W3 oil spiking experiment…my fuel injectors no longer tick. They've had what I considered the normal clicky ticky sound at idle, I had probed it w/ a mech stethoscope last year and confirmed it was them. I've listened to co-workers' Toyota with same engines (Tacomas and one 4Runner) and the same sound was present in all.

I noticed the tick was gone last night while warming up the engine to burp the cooling system after replacing the defective water pump & gasket. Just started the engine this morning to bring it up to temp, and again no injector sound at all. This is surprising.

I don't know when the ticking sound stopped, but I noted the sound was still there after the timing chain (and water pump) replacement in July. Same cooling system burping drill at that time, and the usual ticky/clicky injector noise was present. MMO mixed in w/ the gas at 4oz/10gal back then.

This is an '07 Toyota 1GR-FE V6 engine w/ port fuel injection and 184K miles. I'm now out of QuickSilver and cracking open the Pennzoil Premium Plus TC-W3 for next refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back