Vapor cannister reloading

I'm thinking my vapor cannister is fouled from being too old, nearing 200k miles. I get a rich mix after I refill with fuel. It takes a few minutes to clear before it starts running better. Just changed the purge valve which is the usual suspect and it did fix the flooded start condition after refueling I was having. But now I show +.850V on my O2 sensor voltage for a mile or so after getting gas so some extra fuel is coming from somewhere..

$300 for anew one. I have some activated charcoal.

Anyone cut one open and replace the charcoal?

It would be nice if they made the innards of these easily serviceable with a screw on cap or something wouldn’t it?

I had a situation where I took mine out to clean around the area it sits in, and charcoal came pouring out of one of the vents when I laid it on its side

Luckily I found a new-old stock OEM one near me for cheap.

Last edited:
$300 for anew one. I have some activated charcoal.

Anyone cut one open and replace the charcoal?
It is do-able. But remember, the glue to fasten the thing back together must be gasoline proof. Possibly the best way to fasten the thing back together is to use plates and screws, with a two-part, dichromate cured poly-sulfide compound. If you have some PRC 890 or 1422 on hand, great. If not, gluing the plastic won't be all that simple or easy.

Or, at least I can't think of a way that will provide good structural integrity. Silicone will not work. There are plenty of YouTube videos on this subject.

Also, quality charcoal can last a lifetime in this application. I have to wonder if the system is not functioning properly. Or are you over-filling the tank?

Last edited:
I had a bad purge valve twice. This sticks open when it's bad. So it may suck up some gas? I fill it like I have since I bought it in '08. It's only happened the last time I filled and the first time with the new purge valve. The running rich was a new symptom.

I had a bad purge valve twice. This sticks open when it's bad. So it may suck up some gas? I fill it like I have since I bought it in '08. It's only happened the last time I filled and the first time with the new purge valve. The running rich was a new symptom.
You could block the line and see if that fixes your "running rich" problem.

Yes, I was going to do that to confirm the purge valve but decided to just replace it instead as it's no big deal.

This guy on the 3rd Gen F-Body forum did a canister rebuild. I don't know how "fisticated" these have evolved in the last 40 years.

I have a car with a 37 year, 287k mile old canister that works just fine. I'd look for a used one or one from another car that fits.

Or, your problem is elsewhere. Last fuel tank I took apart has the vent way up at the top with a valve inside I think is to keep liquid out of the vent. Your vapor system should never see liquid fuel.

Sounds like the vent valve is not preventing liquid from exiting the tank out the vent tube. Does your problem only show up when you fill up completely? Are you adding more fuel after the pump shuts off the first time?

Back