Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roadkill is awesome!!!

Valvoline is good stuff. From the VOA it might not standout but the UOAs of it show it's great. Really can't go wrong with any big brand now.

Found this Valvoline at Autozone for a ok deal. Have it in my Altima 3.5 now. I think Valvoline is very good oil.

The only part I would worry about is taking that jobber filter past 5000 miles.

Since you have to use them see if they will let you bring in your own oil and filter. I have a buddy that owns a Zippy lube and he only charges me $20 if I bring my own oil/filter. Nice in my old days not having to deal with all the clean up and disposal.

Originally Posted By: rojeda562
Valvoline Syn Power or Full Synthetic Max Life are superb oils, and can handle 8,000 miles with 100% confidence.

thumbsup2.gif

It may seem trivial, but the only reason I'm not sold on Valvoline is the stance they take on their "engine warranty" program. They insist on OCI's of no more than 4000 miles (even on their synthetic). I realize that Valvoline's real-world results reflect a very capable lubricant, but it seems that the company itself seems to have some doubt about engine longevity if you go more than 4000 miles between oil changes with their product. The other oil companies defer to manufacturer recommendations / OLMs, which in my opinion is fair to the consumer and speaks to the company's confidence in it's product.

Sounds reasonable I would think 5000 miles would still be a very conservative beginning place. If you put your car on their oil before 75,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero

Found this Valvoline at Autozone for a ok deal. Have it in my Altima 3.5 now. I think Valvoline is very good oil.

Keep us apprised how it goes

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
Have an '05 Forester and currently no place to change my own oil. Apartment management frowns on using parking lot.

Find a fleet fuel station on the weekend. They're always empty and you can change the oil off to the side somewhere on clean concrete. Bring Rhino ramps and something to catch the oil in.

Places like this are usually fenced off around here...even if they're not, you're still on somebody else's private property and might have to deal with cops showing up and asking what the heck you're doing.

We had parking garages at my first job (nice in the TX heat) and scumbags from the area would use them on the weekends to change their oil and do other work on their cars...there was half a floor offset from one level to the next and it made for nice access to the bottom of the car. I would often see people doing this stuff when I went in to do extra work on the weekend and they would usually give me the serious stinkeye for being there...especially galling given that it was my place of work and they were trespassing. Pretty common that these folks would just dump their oil on the concrete as well as leave their empty oil containers and old filter sitting there.

Last edited:
My community doesn’t allow working on cars in the driveway but that is mostly geared to those who are banging on engines all day and night. When I asked about oil changes they said the RV parking was okay. Never mind that the parking area is all rocks. I am still figuring out what to do.

Valvoline is great oil. Pennzoil is great oil. Mobil is great oil. Castrol is great oil. Use whichever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside! I tend to bounce back and forth between Castrol and Pennzoil, but, may run some M1 next change to spice things up! Never tried Valvoline synthetic, but, always loved their conventional anytime I used it in the past on various cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back