Valvoline: What friction modifier/anti wear agent

I've read sodium, but then again some say sodium is mainly a detergent but does have some properties as a anti wear.

I ask because I have one remaining quart of Valvoline and the rest of what I have is Castrol. The Castrol is the titanium stuff.

I'd like to use that last quart for the next OC on my VW which is only a four qt capacity. 3 Castrol and 1 Valvoline is the chemistry is somewhat compatible.

I've looked at VOA's for Valvoline Euro 5w40 and Castrol Edge 5w40 here in the VOA forum and BOTH had sodium levels of 3ppm. Other that the Castrol having 23 ppm of titanium, both had pretty much the same amounts of other elements.

Can anyone shed some light on the main anti wear/friction mod of Valvoline?

Edge 5w40

Valvoline Euro 5w40

I've read sodium, but then again some say sodium is mainly a detergent but does have some properties as a anti wear.

I ask because I have one remaining quart of Valvoline and the rest of what I have is Castrol. The Castrol is the titanium stuff.

I'd like to use that last quart for the next OC on my VW which is only a four qt capacity. 3 Castrol and 1 Valvoline is the chemistry is somewhat compatible.

I've looked at VOA's for Valvoline Euro 5w40 and Castrol Edge 5w40 here in the VOA forum and BOTH had sodium levels of 3ppm. Other that the Castrol having 23 ppm of titanium, both had pretty much the same amounts of other elements.

Edge 5w40

Valvoline Euro 5w40
Thats the wrong oil for your 2020 VW Jetta and do NOT listen to anyone who says its OK. My VW dealer put in 5W40 "by accident" and it ran terrible. I had them dump it and put the correct oil in. I had a Stick 2019 Jetta lease. It may run well on 5W30 but not 40. I ran mostly expensive Motul 0W20 VW508 spec, that was a bit thin, so I added a 1/2 qt of M1 0W40 FS. That 1/2 quart was all it needed for robust performance to high rpm and fast turbo spooling.

Again DO NOT run a full sump of 5W40. - Ken

Thats the wrong oil for your 2020 VW Jetta and do NOT listen to anyone who says its OK. My VW dealer put in 5W40 "by accident" and it ran terrible. I had them dump it and put the correct oil in. I had a Stick 2019 Jetta lease. It may run well on 5W30 but not 40. I ran mostly expensive Motul 0W20 VW508 spec, that was a bit thin, so I added a 1/2 qt of M1 0W40 FS. That 1/2 quart was all it needed for robust performance to high rpm and fast turbo spooling.

Again DO NOT run a full sump of 5W40. - Ken
Ken... Yes what I have is 0w20. I was just referencing VOA's for the two brands as I could not find 0w20 VOA's

I agree 5w40 may be a little too "thick" for the 1.4 TSi.

I have the CastrolLL IV FE 0w20. It was what I got at the VW dealership before they went to the VW branded Mobil.

The Valvoline is Valvoline Euro 0w20 with just VW 508 approval.

Same weight/approvals, different brands.
That would likely work as the VAG 508/509 isnt a stretch from ILSAC GF6A, and like Buster noted Valvoline is using an
"Infinium" style DP that should be compatible with the Castrol. I woudl take this opportuninty to beef up the 508 a tad
with a 1/2 qt of newly purchased Castrol Euro 5W40. I don't know if you get the same engine clatter and loss of high speed power like I did on the 508. A Little ACEA A3/B4 goes a long way to boost the 0W20 a tad and cure this. I would do it for sure.
- Ken

Edge 5w40

Valvoline Euro 5w40
I am not understanding why sodium is a concern.

At 3ppm the sodium chemistry in there is one of the anti-rust/anti-corrosion compounds.

Boron is a cold-start anti-friction/anti-wear component, Moly (MoDTC) is a friction reducer, and ZDDP is a high-temp anti-wear/anti-oxidant compound.

I am not understanding why sodium is a concern.

At 3ppm the sodium chemistry in there is one of the anti-rust/anti-corrosion compounds.

Boron is a cold-start anti-friction/anti-wear component, Moly (MoDTC) is a friction reducer, and ZDDP is a high-temp anti-wear/anti-oxidant compound.
No concern on sodium. I was just wondering if those two brands used completely different chemistry as to not be recommended to mix a quart. It appears they are both similar enough so no problem using the extra quart of Valvoline with the Castrol.

No concern on sodium. I was just wondering if those two brands used completely different chemistry as to not be recommended to mix a quart. It appears they are both similar enough so no problem using the extra quart of Valvoline with the Castrol.
Oh, ok, Mixing a quart of the Valvoline with the Edge should not present any problems.

I have some Valvoline in my stash from the old high sodium days....is this a decent oil? I seem to remember that many BITOGers frowned on sodium based oils.

I have some Valvoline in my stash from the old high sodium days....is this a decent oil? I seem to remember that many BITOGers frowned on sodium based oils.

It's fine good oil as long as you don't run it in a GDI motor.

In a GDI. . I'd run a API SP or at minimum at API SN+.

Back