Valvoline website says all SYN oils come from DINO

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about PAO & Esters???

MYTH - Synthetic motor oils are man-made in a laboratory.

REALITY - Synthetic motor oils use crude oils extracted from the earth which go through a synthesis process and use man-made additives in the creation of a final product.

Well in the U.S., they are right. SynPower is actually a mix of Group III, IV, and V with at least 40% being Group III. Although from the latest PDS it looks like they are going with more Group IV than the previous formulations. The Valvoline Q&A is not intended for BITOGers. They are really simplified and only intended for cursory reading by the layman.

Not......some start as dino, others start life in the laboratory...they cost more, but are worth it. The best is not cheap; the cheap is not best.

Well they DO NOT tell the "layman" that their 3000 mile OCI recommendation is only for their dino and not SynPower...what a joke! The "layman" buys SYN usually to go longer OCI I would think.

Originally Posted By: Chrisgl1800
Not......some start as dino, others start life in the laboratory...they cost more, but are worth it. The best is not cheap; the cheap is not best.

So they lied...and if you read all of the page, they keep making reference that synthetics get better or more additives...I thought the mail sell on SYN was the base stock itself was a better lubricant...what a joke!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV

So they lied...and if you read all of the page, they keep making reference that synthetics get better or more additives...I thought the mail sell on SYN was the base stock itself was a better lubricant...what a joke!

it is a better basestock. some say group III is better than PAO.
its just refined to the point that the molecular structure is so uniform it behaves like a PAO with out drying out seals.....or at least thats the way i understand it

Originally Posted By: electrolover

its just refined to the point that the molecular structure is so uniform it behaves like a PAO with out drying out seals.....or at least thats the way i understand it

Well they say on their website also that SYN oils won't hurt seals and drying them is hurting them so then did they lie again, based on your response???

The Syn oils VALVOLINE uses ARE all mineral based. PERIOD. I don't see why this has blown up into a debate. Valvoline uses Grp. III and PAO. They state that on their site.

Well they say on their website also that SYN oils won't hurt seals and drying them is hurting them so then did they lie again, based on your response???

no it just means they are not making 100% PAO. nowadays PAO oils have esters to keep it from happening anyway. maybe ur looking too much into it. the only 100% man made oil i know is redline

no it just means they are not making 100% PAO. nowadays PAO oils have esters to keep it from happening anyway. maybe ur looking too much into it. the only 100% man made oil i know is redline

Valvoline doesn't "make" PAO anyways. If they use it, it comes from a company like Exxon-Mobil.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Valvoline doesn't "make" PAO anyways. If they use it, it comes from a company like Exxon-Mobil.

we know ashland is just a blender...but thanx for straighten me out
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

we know ashland is just a blender...but thanx for straighten me out
lol.gif

Wasn't meaning to try and straighten you out, just trying to shed more light on Ashland's little play they are making.

I thought that RP was also 100% PAO base?

I thought RP's "synerlac" technology was some kind of ester? Also, IIRC RP themselves have said its 80% PAO and 20% group 1 (additive solubility being the reason for the GRP 1).

Well they DO NOT tell the "layman" that their 3000 mile OCI recommendation is only for their dino and not SynPower...what a joke! The "layman" buys SYN usually to go longer OCI I would think.

Where do they say that >3K OCIs are acceptable with SynPower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back