Tbn 7.5
Flash coc 220celsius
Pourpoint -33
Ccs cp 6000 (-25)
Mrv tp-1 cp. 22678 (-30)
Noack percentage off @ 250celsius (>15)
Sulphated ash. .80
Zinc/phosphorous. .083/ .08076
Calcium/sodium. .162/.047. These are both data sheets straight from the company it is measuring their 10w40 now from my view it looks to me as though valvoline is better. But I'm not the most educated oil person. So can I please get some response and feedback as to what these mean to you . Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't tell you a whole lot looking at what you posted. PYB will have a higher TBN and some UOA has pointed to it holding up better than VWB in runs of 5k or more. I Don't really think one should be judge a 40wt oil on cold flow/pour point, if its really that cold, use a 0w-XX.

But valvoline has a better flash point isn't that better? And I am doing 10w40 because its what I use in the winter. Summer time is 15w40. Pennzoil didn't give as much info as valvoline either did they?

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
But valvoline has a better flash point isn't that better? And I am doing 10w40 because its what I use in the winter. Summer time is 15w40. Pennzoil didn't give as much info as valvoline either did they?

You can't determine which oil is better off of only 1 or 2 specs.

So the Pennzoil is better? I thought that an oil with the highest flash point was one of he best because it'll take higher heat before breaking down. I dont know what some of that means the mrv and noak stuff I have mo idea what that is.

For a 10w40, PYB's HTHS of 3.7 is not very good, but Valvoline doesn't even report one. Valvoline has a slightly higher VI, and a significantly higher Flash Point. Pennzoil's NOACK number of 14.3 is barely within the maximum limit of 15, and Valvoline only says that theirs is
A glaring difference is the MRV, which is cold pumping viscosity: PYB = 6700, VWB = 22768. If these numbers are right, Pennzoil would have a big advantage in cold flow. However, the Cold Cranking numbers are close between the two: 6280 for Pennzoil, and 6000 for Valvoline. This would give an advantage to Valvoline.

It's hard to pick a clear difference between the two. Buy whichever is lower cost.

Merkava what do you run in your cars? Is valvoline only good enough for your lawn mowers? What does all that mean? I don't know what any of that is.

For your vehicle, and only your vehicle, in your ultimate decision to run either PYB or VWB for life, it might be best to get VOAs on both oils and make comparisons. Then run both oils, at different intervals, on the second sump full of oil....and get a UOA to see how they ran in your engine before you make a life-long decision on PYB and VWB.

Otherwise, just get what's on sale, be happy with the price, run it with a grin on your face and get on with life.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Merkava what do you run in your cars? Is valvoline only good enough for your lawn mowers? What does all that mean? I don't know what any of that is.

I run Valvoline MaxLife 10W-30 most of the time, but this last time I went with Chevron because of the temporary price hike on Valvoline at Walmart. I run 10W-40 in air cooled 4-cycle lawn equipment because it's my belief that air cooled engines are really hard on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back