Valvoline VR1 Racing Syn 10w30, TBN TAN

I think I bought a case (of 6) over 10 years ago, can't remember since my logs don't bring up valvoline. I can provide the bottle details if someone can help determine the age?

Attachments

• Sample_Results.PDF
    67.1 KB · Views: 331
"24ppm of iron in new oil?"
That is what I was saying too? How can new oil have iron. But I also saw that new old oil had iron from this thread >> https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ar-motor-oils-used-in-the-60s-and-70s.330633/

Well these bottles were the first batch from over 10 years ago. Again I don't remember exactly when these were purchased but my guess would be between 2006-2008.

That makes a lot more sense now. Having 24 ppm isn't a lot and could be from the tank it was blended in. If you were to take a penny, rub it between your fingers for a few minutes, and then examine your fingertips, you probably wouldn't see any copper there, but you may have 10-20 ppm there.

Probably the 20w-50 grade of it in a mild engine that would run fine on a 0w-20 given the temperatures they operate in. lol

Yeah I never understood why they ran such thick oils. I'm running 10w30 Schaeffer's oil in my supercharged mustang,would never consider going thicker.

Yeah I never understood why they ran such thick oils. I'm running 10w30 Schaeffer's oil in my supercharged mustang,would never consider going thicker.

It's the "bigger is better" crowd. They're the same ones who think more ZDDP is always better, bigger tires are better, higher stall converters are better, etc... They think higher viscosity must be better at preventing wear even though they don't run the engines long enough between freshen-ups to notice any difference in wear and are just throwing away power. I remember speaking with one guy because he was in the lane next to me with 2 guys grunting to push his car in the lanes while I'm just walking next to mine with my hand on the roof. He said he hadn't messed with the alignment, bearings, brake drag, or even repacked the 40 year old bearings because he just hadn't thought of that.

I got in a conversation with another guy at the track about oil who said he uses 6 quarts of VR1 20w-50 plus a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in his ~400 hp 355ci SBC. I told him he was probably throwing away near a tenth in ET just to oil drag. He asked what me what I run in mine and had a bewildered look when I said "5w-20."

Back