Valvoline VR1 Full Syn 20W-50 and Mobil 1 15W-50

I needed VOAs on some oils I'm comparing to see what % viscosity loss, oxidation increase I'm getting and what the initial additive package looks like. It was surprising for me to find that M1 spec says 18 for viscosity, and 20.5 for VR1. Lubrication analyst says that's normal to see different viscosity values between batches as long as they stay within their grade.

Screenshot 2022-08-30 095242.gif

I'm curious how friction-modified the Mobil 1 15w-50 really is, what with the potential for those non-metallic FM additives that exist to be included in it (couldn't tell you if they are or are not there in the blend.) It goes with it just how curious I'd be about the robustness and competitive performance of those ashless FM's against more legacy, metallic FMs.

I needed VOAs on some oils I'm comparing to see what % viscosity loss, oxidation increase I'm getting and what the initial additive package looks like. It was surprising for me to find that M1 spec says 18 for viscosity, and 20.5 for VR1. Lubrication analyst says that's normal to see different viscosity values between batches as long as they stay within their grade.

View attachment 114785
Since neither are close to their advertised values, would you mind asking them to check viscosity again?

Back