Valvoline VR1 10W-30 Synthetic for my Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to try something fun, exciting and robust in my poor Yaris that gets driven harder than it should this summer. After perusing the oil wall at Advance Auto Parts, the only thing that stuck out was the VR1 now in a 10w30 grade API SL. I read on the bottle the oil is Sapphire Blue - is this to appeal to the RP guys whom think they get something special when the oil is dyed? Anywho, I hope this runs better than the current fill of Valvoline 10w-30 API SM syn - I was somewhat non-plused over it's on the road performance and I had to amend it with M1 racing 4T syn to get the engine to rev smooth. This may go in the sump tamale. Any caveats?

Last edited:
Just remember that the VR-1 is even thinner than the 10W-30 Synpower.
smirk2.gif
Also remember that it has a TBN of less than 6.
shocked2.gif
The detergent pack is so low, Valvoline doesn't even list calcium sodium, or magnesium. You would have to change it out VERY OFTEN, very short OCI.
thumbsup2.gif

from Ashlands current PDF

1400 Phos
1300 Zinc
1900 Cal
490 Na

It aint a hdeo Ca load, but I'm stuck with <5K OCI and it meets SL which my oil cap wants. Not much HOH in the oil the way I drive - hot oil, high speed(80-90mph), long hauls. No short trips.

Last edited:
Haven't looked at the oil yet - product mentioned the sapphire blue colour on the back of the bottle. Maybe they mean the bottle colour? Team Sapphire Blue?

Don't want to hijack, but I wanted to try some of this VR1 10W-30 stuff in an oil cocktail. But it's unavailable. Who do you order it from?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Come on guys, a little enthusiam here!

I'm all for trying!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
smirk2.gif
shocked2.gif
The detergent pack is so low, Valvoline doesn't even list calcium sodium, or magnesium. You would have to change it out VERY OFTEN, very short OCI.
thumbsup2.gif

Come on guys, read the data sheets!
smirk2.gif
VR-1 comes in 3 different varieties.

Conventional (which is clearly not "thinner then Synpower", clearly has a high detergent additive package with listed levels for ALL metallic additives"), a new synthetic that is apparently safe for street use and similar to Joe Gibbs racing oil, which Valvoline makes (it's too new to have a data sheet), and a non street legal synthetic (which FrankN4 is apparently using to dis Valvoline - no detergent non street legal RACING oils have low TBN and, you guess it, low detergents FOR RACING ONLY).

Last edited:
Every auto parts store here sells VR1,and it`s the same price as their premium conventional. I used to use it and had very good results with it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
smirk2.gif
shocked2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

smirk2.gif

Conventional (which is clearly not "thinner then Synpower", clearly has a high detergent additive package with listed levels for ALL metallic additives"), a new synthetic that is apparently safe for street use and similar to Joe Gibbs racing oil, which Valvoline makes (it's too new to have a data sheet), and a non street legal synthetic.

He said 10W-30 synthetic. He gave the PDS for the 10W-30 conventional. I took him for his word and just wanted to remind him the synthetic was rather thin, low TBN, no detergent adds mentioned.

smirk2.gif
shocked2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

smirk2.gif

Conventional (which is clearly not "thinner then Synpower", clearly has a high detergent additive package with listed levels for ALL metallic additives"), a new synthetic that is apparently safe for street use and similar to Joe Gibbs racing oil, which Valvoline makes (it's too new to have a data sheet), and a non street legal synthetic.

He said 10W-30 synthetic. He gave the PDS for the 10W-30 conventional. I took him for his word and just wanted to remind him the synthetic was rather thin, low TBN, no detergent adds mentioned.

I must apologise to FrankN4: my bad on the Data sheet - I linked to a PDF thru a google search with 'synthetic' in the name but it wasn't highlighted in the search results. So, it appears NO data sheet yet for the 10w-30 "street" API SL rated synthetic "blue dyed" oil. It must have a minimum detergent pack to meet SL though, I would hope. Wonder what the weight is? Sloshes about very easlily in the bottle - for what that's worth
wink.gif

Last edited:
So the stuff I had bought is an unknown entity. Now I dont want to proceed with the OC if the vis is a 9.5 cSt at boiling.

Haven't looked at the oil yet - product mentioned the sapphire blue colour on the back of the bottle. Maybe they mean the bottle colour? Team Sapphire Blue?

Its blue,i use it in my lawn tractor.looks pretty cool.

smirk2.gif
shocked2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

smirk2.gif

I must apologise to FrankN4: my bad on the Data sheet - I linked to a PDF thru a google search with 'synthetic' in the name but it wasn't highlighted in the search results. So, it appears NO data sheet yet for the 10w-30 "street" API SL rated synthetic "blue dyed" oil. It must have a minimum detergent pack to meet SL though, I would hope. Wonder what the weight is? Sloshes about very easlily in the bottle - for what that's worth
wink.gif

No apology needed and no problem. If I had a dime every time I turned left at Google, or Yahoo for that matteer, we could open a keg.
cheers3.gif

I got this information from someone who actually works for Valvoline. Since they are not yet publislhed, I cannot swear to the accuracy, but I do believe it to be accurate. All 3 are for 10W-30.

Synpower
40C-64
100C-10.5
HTHS-3.0
TBN-8
Zinc-830
Phos-760
Calcium-1910
Sodium-490
SM-GF4

Synthetic VR-1
40C-64
100C-10.5
HTHS-3.0
TBN-8
Zinc-1400
Phos-1300
Calcium-1910
Sodium-490
SL

Synthetic Raceing
40C-60.81
100C-10.2
HTHS-3.0
TBN-6
Zinc-1200
Phosphorus-1200
Calcium-?
Sodium-?
not rated

On Valvoline's site, it shows the 'Racing oil' that is 'not street legal' has 240ppm of Sodium....

So it looks like VR1 street syn may just be synpower with a ZDDP boost and blue dye. Oh hum - its going back to the store. I wasn't happy with the current fill of 10w-30 synpower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back