Valvoline vo-76

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy of mine has a 2012 malibu that had a service engine code P0013. He had recently went to a valvoline instant oil change before this code came up. This filter and oil had 2000 miles on it. I changed the oil to Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and a fram ultra 9018.

The filter seems to be too long for the application--considering the "crushed" media. I cannot help but wonder how this filter compares to the OEM from an OAL perspective.

Pretty normal for an oil filter in an ecotec engine - the media bends at the half-way point. I see it even on ACDelco filters.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Pretty normal for an oil filter in an ecotec engine - the media bends at the half-way point. I see it even on ACDelco filters.

Dang...too bad that "normal" is close to "failed". Makes me wonder what is happening to the filter, and how far it is compressed during normal operation - does it get compressed far enough to effectively be in bypass?

I have read the same thing. My mom has a 2.2 (or is it 2.4) ecotec in the 2007 Saturn Vue. So far I have not found any filter deformities in it, but have not done a lot of changes in it either.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Dang...too bad that "normal" is close to "failed". Makes me wonder what is happening to the filter, and how far it is compressed during normal operation - does it get compressed far enough to effectively be in bypass?
I believe it expands when it gets wet with oil.

My valvoline filter looked way better than this at 5k miles. I had the spin on though.

How does the filter compressing like that cause it to go into bypass?

Yuck! The Ultra cartridges have some problems, too.

For that Ecotec, ONLY use these filters:
AC Delco PF457G or PF458G (they are made by Hengst)
Hengst E630H
Mann HU 6007x
Purflux L264A

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yuck! The Ultra cartridges have some problems, too.

AC Delco PF457G or PF458G (they are made by Hengst)
Hengst E630H
Mann HU 6007x
Purflux L264A

Thank you for that info. I will be putting one of those for him in the spring!

Are the filter housing and cap designed such that the filter is under constant axial force from a spring, similar to those for Toyota cartridges? If so, and if it had the right dimensions for the application, it looks like the filter was simply not strong enough to withstand that spring force without collapsing partially.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Purflux L264A

Be careful, some of these are now made in India, and the gluing appeared a bit sloppy to me (I've only seen one).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

How does the filter compressing like that cause it to go into bypass?

If it deforms far enough, it will no longer be sealed at the end - and therefore no longer filtering. Unless I'm looking at it wrong and the end caps cannot move closer together.

After observing many of these post use ecotec cartridges from many brands, this not an outlier. A Google image search of 'ecotec cartidge' will confirm that statement. Even the XG 9018 you mention showed a similar result HERE.

While appearance not great, I wouldn't call it a functional fail.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
After observing many of these post use ecotec cartridges from many brands, this not an outlier. A Google image search of 'ecotec cartidge' will confirm that statement. Even the XG 9018 you mention showed a similar result HERE. While appearance not great, I wouldn't call it a functional fail.
I agree with you that it is not a fail, but when a wire supported media filter bends (and this does not appear to be an overly long filter), I want to question the overall design. Perhaps, in the long term, the bend means nothing, it just seems "wrong".

I would suspect installer heavy handedness, like too much twisting or hard pushing, or getting it not all the way in and the cap thread has to push it further, maybe while crooked, before the two filters shown are being blamed defective themselves. Seems it would be pretty easy to install a new filter correctly, look at it to check again if all is well, then run it. If it is bad after, like these, then blame the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back