Valvoline use recycled oil for oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Valvoline's website, www.valvoline.com, if you click on FAQ, then motor oil myths, and then recycled oil myths, the following statements are made about Valvoline's NextGen recycled oil product which are written in the present tense (as though NextGen recycled oil is still for sale).

My understanding is that NextGen is a discontinued product, and probably has been so for several years now as I don't see it listed for sale on the Valvoline website (or anywhere else on the internet) and most posts about this product on various car related forums typically are dated about 5 or more years ago.

A related question: Is it possible Valvoline is using oil obtained from the oil change stations they have, then recycling it, and then re-using it for oil changes at their oil change stations and not stating it is recycled oil they are using? If so, would it be legal for Valvoline to do that (use recycled oil for new oil changes) without informing customers? After all, the NextGen recycled oil product from what I've read is presented as a valid option by Valvoline from what I've read on their website when one buys these bottled recycled oil products.

To clarify, it appears that NextGen recycled oil was sold as a typical motor oil product, for example, in quart bottles. It does not appear from my reading that Valvoline used NextGen at their oil change stations at any time.

But I would like to know if NextGen recycled oil was ever used at any time, including present, for Valvoline's quick oil change stations, or if they use recycled oil today of any type for oil changes.

Why would they keep this information up at the valvoline.com website when it could cause potential customers of Valvoline's oil change stations to think maybe recycled oil might be what is going into customer's vehicles today instead of new, fresh oil that has not been recycled. Personally, I would think they would want to pull this information off of their FAQ's section of their website to avoid any concern about their company possibly using recycled oil today at their oil change stations.

BTW, what does Valvoline do with all of the used oil they pull from their oil change locations? I would think they would want to make some money off the used oil in some way.

This information is not on the www.vioc.com website Valvoline has, but is on their www.valvoline.com website.

There's a big business in re-refined motor oil. I'm sure Valvoline (as well as other oil change chains and shops) recycle their oil which is then put to use again. Here's just one example:

Back in the 1950s and early 60s, I sometimes used re-refined oil in my 1953 Pontiac. It could be purchased for about 25¢ a quart. The oil I purchased came in a glass jar and had a spout screwed on to it.

No, what I am saying is since Valvoline show(ed) serious interest in their recycled oil product NextGen sold in bottles at retail stores, so its a natural thought they may have, or currently have, serious interest in recycling the oil they get for free at their oil change locations (approx 1500 locations from a quick Google search). That's a lot of used oil they collect every year, and represents potentially another very good revenue stream for Valvoline--or any other competitors Valvoline has.

Almost certainly they must be putting use to this used oil.

Just want to make sure if I use a Valvoline oil change location I am not getting oil that has been recycled.

I am not sure why OP is asking us as if we are working as executive at Valvoline?
All we will generate are whole bunch of "fake" news from speculations and opinions.

It is best probably get in touch with Valvoline and see if they have any answer.
Of course, they may choose not to answer.

A related question: Is it possible Valvoline is using oil obtained from the oil change stations they have, then recycling it, and then re-using it for oil changes at their oil change stations and not stating it is recycled oil they are using? If so, would it be legal for Valvoline to do that (use recycled oil for new oil changes) without informing customers? After all, the NextGen recycled oil product from what I've read is presented as a valid option by Valvoline from what I've read on their website when one buys these bottled recycled oil products.

To clarify, it appears that NextGen recycled oil was sold as a typical motor oil product, for example, in quart bottles. It does not appear from my reading that Valvoline used NextGen at their oil change stations at any time.

But I would like to know if NextGen recycled oil was ever used at any time, including present, for Valvoline's quick oil change stations, or if they use recycled oil today of any type for oil changes.

Why would they keep this information up at the valvoline.com website when it could cause potential customers of Valvoline's oil change stations to think maybe recycled oil might be what is going into customer's vehicles today instead of new, fresh oil that has not been recycled. Personally, I would think they would want to pull this information off of their FAQ's section of their website to avoid any concern about their company possibly using recycled oil today at their oil change stations.

BTW, what does Valvoline do with all of the used oil they pull from their oil change locations? I would think they would want to make some money off the used oil in some way.

This information is not on the www.vioc.com website Valvoline has, but is on their www.valvoline.com website.
One has to realize there is a difference between re-refined oil and waste oil.

Waste oil is usually reclaimed by various companies who suck out the waste oil tanks then send it to be re-refined or used for other purposes.

We don't keep threads open for conspiracy theories so unless you have some solid information to support your thesis, this thread won't be open long.

Why would they keep this information up at the valvoline.com website when it could cause potential customers of Valvoline's oil change stations to think maybe recycled oil might be what is going into customer's vehicles today instead of new, fresh oil that has not been recycled.
When you go to the store, do you make sure you're only buying your beer in new, fresh aluminum cans? :ROFLMAO:

You seem to have done a lot of reading on the subject yet still have come to the conclusion that recycled motor oil is somehow inferior, as if the end user or the engine it's in can tell the difference. You can't. And that's a good thing.

No, what I am saying is since Valvoline show(ed) serious interest in their recycled oil product NextGen sold in bottles at retail stores, so its a natural thought they may have, or currently have, serious interest in recycling the oil they get for free at their oil change locations (approx 1500 locations from a quick Google search). That's a lot of used oil they collect every year, and represents potentially another very good revenue stream for Valvoline--or any other competitors Valvoline has.

Almost certainly they must be putting use to this used oil.

Just want to make sure if I use a Valvoline oil change location I am not getting oil that has been recycled.
On Valvoline's website, www.valvoline.com, if you click on FAQ, then motor oil myths, and then recycled oil myths, the following statements are made about Valvoline's NextGen recycled oil product which are written in the present tense (as though NextGen recycled oil is still for sale).

My understanding is that NextGen is a discontinued product, and probably has been so for several years now as I don't see it listed for sale on the Valvoline website (or anywhere else on the internet) and most posts about this product on various car related forums typically are dated about 5 or more years ago.

I think the information might be outdated as far as the use of NG to the best of my knowledge.

I do think you might have a fundamental misunderstanding about the subject though. To the best of my knowledge NG was not oil that had been filtered and additives replenished. They used spent lube as a feedstock for refining basestock. Many manufacturers likely use it at times. Read across tables allow the substitution of one base with another. If it's a high quality base at a competitive price blenders will buy it. It doesn't matter if it was made from stinky sulphur laden yellow stuff (crude), spent lube or natural gas. What matters is the qualities of the product.

Last edited:

Recycled oil is no different than crude oil in that both must be refined into a finished product. In fact I think it can be argued that crude oil contains a greater degree if impurities compared to used motor oil and consequently "virgin motor oil" requires a greater degree of refining.

I can't imagine there's any requirement to label oil as "recycled" if there's no difference between it and "virgin motor oil".

Is it possible that Valvoline adds re-refined oil to their product without telling customers? I have no idea.

NetxGen was never sold as typical motor oil other than being made available in similar sized containers. The labeling was always clear.

Company websites are always out of date.

Used motor oil used to get repurposed where it would be burned to generate power. They're no different than any other business which performs oil changes.

Re-refined oil is API approved.

Long time ago but the VIOC group I worked for was locally franchised but has since sold it off. The local oil probably goes to various vendors, here I think they use Safety-Kleen...

Recycled oil is no different than crude oil in that both must be refined into a finished product. In fact I think it can be argued that crude oil contains a greater degree if impurities compared to used motor oil and consequently "virgin motor oil" requires a greater degree of refining.

I can't imagine there's any requirement to label oil as "recycled" if there's no difference between it and "virgin motor oil".

Is it possible that Valvoline adds re-refined oil to their product without telling customers? I have no idea.

NetxGen was never sold as typical motor oil other than being made available in similar sized containers. The labeling was always clear.

Used motor oil used to get repurposed where it would be burned to generate power. They're no different than any other business which performs oil changes.

One of the MSDS for Valvoline HM ML 5-30 from about 12 months ago showed what appeared to he a possible Group II+ (speculation due to percentage) base that was derived from spent crude.

When you go to the store, do you make sure you're only buying your beer in new, fresh aluminum cans? :ROFLMAO:

You seem to have done a lot of reading on the subject yet still have come to the conclusion that recycled motor oil is somehow inferior, as if the end user or the engine it's in can tell the difference. You can't. And that's a good thing.

Hopefully nobody is selling recycled beer.

I just checked the Valvoline website. No mention of Nextgen in the available products.

I frequent valvoline instant oil change for both my cars. They have a truck that comes and pumps out the waste oil and drives away. It may have been a safety kleen truck but i can't remember exactly.

They pour "everyday protection", their conventional offering for my cars. Listed on the bill as such as well. API SP

Facts and logic! How boring! lol

I am not sure why OP is asking us as if we are working as executive at Valvoline?
All we will generate are whole bunch of "fake" news from speculations and opinions.

It is best probably get in touch with Valvoline and see if they have any answer.
Of course, they may choose not to answer.
I was going to reply to kschachn with almost the same answer !

How about "My uncle's third cousin's ex-wife's girlfriend used to work at a Valvoline and told him it's true" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back