Valvoline transfer case fluid cured clunk in 05 Silverado np246 transfer case

I did a lot of searching before posting this and it seems like the consensus was only use auto trak 2 fluid in this auto 4wd transfer case. Well I was replacing a wheel bearing and stopped at Napa to grab some fluid. Turned out they didn't have it but had the Valvoline which says recommended for. It was cheap so I decided to try it.

The truck has 324,000kms on it. The original fluid was changed at 240,000 roughly and it had been clunking since the first time I drove the truck (long before that). The fresh auto trak 2 fluid didn't help, it stayed clunky until 323,900 when the Valvoline went in. The clunk is now gone. I didn't expect any change, just the fluid was due and getting dark.

I've put a few hundred kms on and not a single clunk yet. Before I could barely pull away gently without a big clunk underneath. Now it's silent. I thought maybe the Valvoline was thicker but my searching shoes it's 6.9 CST vs 7.3cst for auto Trak 2. Personally I can't understand how the fluid change could help since it didn't the first time. Any theories? I'm going to ignore the "it's in your head" theories since I've driven this truck almost every day for years now.

Thats all I can think of is that the clutch pack isn't shuddering.

For about 2 years now I have been running a 7.6cst group 4 multi vehicle ATF in my AT2 equipped Trailblazer. Works perfectly.

Thats all I can think of is that the clutch pack isn't shuddering.

For about 2 years now I have been running a 7.6cst group 4 multi vehicle ATF in my AT2 equipped Trailblazer. Works perfectly.
I didn't think the clutches did anything unless I had it in auto 4wd? The clunking was just noticeable in normal driving. In auto it kicked in the front wheels after the back spun, it felt seamless other than the snapping you back in the seat because the truck starts to move as soon as 4 wheels turn.

I won't know about the auto 4wd function with the new fluid until we get some bad weather. Off road I use regular 4wd.

Those auto 4wd fluids for GM trucks always had me confused. I have a 04 Silverado with the manual transfer case shifter. I thought I had to use the Autotrak but it actually just uses ATF. Sort of lucked out.

Back