valvoline "top mechanics in the country"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like whenever someone buys motor oil from walmart, it's valvoline. I have seen many different people buy 5qt jugs of all-climate, and one guy buy a 5qt of valvoline synthetic
pat.gif
. I rarely see anyone buy anything else. I feel like walking up and dumping there oil in the trash and putting a jug of M1 in there cart instead. Sometimes I wonder what the "Top mechanics in the county" are really thinking. What's your opinion?
Dipstick01

So much of it is marketing and advertising and Mechanics not knowing anything about oil. Take Schaeffer's and Amsoil for example, most have never heard of them yet they are top notch oils. Then you have Castrol with Syntec comercials making you think it's great oil. (Not GC). I have to say Mobil 1 is a good product so there is no slamming their marketing.

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
It seems like whenever someone buys motor oil from walmart, it's valvoline.....
Dipstick01

That's why I like to buy my cars new. You never know what's been in a used car. Might even have been Valvoline, perish forbid.

Besides, there ain't no more "top mechanics" left in the 'shops. They have all quit and gone to some other more profitable and less messy line of work. All that's left are the "bottom mechanics...." the ones that strip your drain hole threads when you go for an oil change at Fast Lube.
wink.gif

A mechanic is going to buy the cheapest bulk oil he can for the shop! You only give the customer what they will pay for and demand!

Pure marketing that apperantly works very well. Besides I love Durablend and use it exclusivly in all my vehicles and so help me god you'll find that Mobil Jug where the sun don't shine if you touch my cart. See I told the marketing hype worked.
lol.gif
patriot.gif

My motor albiet a 95 Honda is purring away at 200,000 miles (4-5k mile change interval) and nearly all Valvoline changes for the first 125,000 miles of its life. The rest were Castrol and Amalie.

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
What brand of oil do you use in your vehicles?

If you are asking me, since this summer I have started to use Chevron Supreme 5W30 after reading this website since it costs $0.99/quart. But if I took it somewhere and they put Valvoline in it I would not balk, my car does not care except for that the oil meets spec.

How does Valvoline know that more "top mechanics" in the country use Valvoline in their own cars than any other oil? Some private survey? How reliable is this data? Just good enough for them to claim it without them being sued?

I wonder if this isn't some sort of ASE sponsorship deal? Perhaps members get a discount? Perhaps they are given coupons for free product with membership?

Valvoline's reputation is pure marketing. Their oil may not be bad exactly (no oil sold in the US is), but it's not that great when compared to the competition.

Unremarkable base oil with one of the skimpiest additive packages going.
thumbsdown.gif

--- Bror Jace

Yep, the All Climate lineup is pretty bland. It works, but is nothing remarkable or spectacular. The Durablend lineup, in my experience anyways, was inline with what most of the other "conventional" oils were doing. Synpower has shown decent results in a few applications, despite its overpriced group III nature.

Don't put a jug of Mobil 1 in my cart - overkill - it ain't worth the price since I won't extend intervals enough to recoup costs, and I get good results on Dino.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
How does Valvoline know that more "top mechanics" in the country use Valvoline in their own cars than any other oil? Some private survey? How reliable is this data? Just good enough for them to claim it without them being sued?

--- Bror Jace

Probably the same way Holley, Edelbrock, Etc do, give out a bunch of free stickers on some weekend drag car, and all the people see it stuck on the side of the cars and think, "oh wow, a racer uses it so it must be the Shot"...

I think to keep the FTC off their back, they have to have something proving it. However they could have defined "top mechanic" in such a way as for Valvoline users to be over represented. Perhaps they took a list of garages that they have in their customer base, and surveyed them. If the first survey doesn't give the results you want, change it so the next one does.

One more point, I buy my Pennzoil at Wal-Mart. They wouldn't stock any of the other brands besides Valvoline, if that was all anybody bought.

I wonder how many of these "top mechanics" use Fram oil filters? Let's face it, it is hard for the average consumer to get good info. I wonder how many guys walk out feeling guilty about buying ST instead of paying a little more for Fram?

Valvoline is also sold at Carquest and NAPA stores as the store brand. Lots of independent shops get their parts there, so maybe they get their oil there, too. Who knows.
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I had no problems ordering 2 cases of SynPower 5w-40 at NAPA. It seemed like a good idea at the time, ACEA A3.
dunno.gif
The Amsoil was sitting right there too
rolleyes.gif
!

'cuz, Ashland makes (or should I say blends) those oils ... but they are not necessarily the same as Valvoline All-Climate.

Of course, it's hard to imagine a skimpier API-approved formula.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back