Valvoline to offer 300,000 mile engine guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline is going to offer a 300,000 mile engine guarantee (your car has to have under 75,000 miles on it) if you use their oil. This is going to be effective tomorrow (5/28/2009), no details on their website until then, but they do acknowledge it and it was advertised in July issue of Motor Trend.

valvoline.com

Years ago, Quaker State offered a guarantee to 100,000 miles I believe.

Thanks. Got that one covered as well.
grin2.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1475613#Post1475613

How can they prove that the engine had less than 75K miles on it before you started using their oil?

I'm sure there is a stipulation that says you must change it every 3000 miles.

Hasn't this place already determined that if you change your oil every 3k your engine, pathetic design or not, will last that long using ANY oil?
Even with bad PCV design or coking engines, shouldn't you make it to 300k at the 3k interval? I'm headed towards it and I have run a Civic/PP combo, so unless something breaks I know I'll get there.
I think a Saab or Chrysler 2.* V-6 could get there on today's oils, right?
Perhaps I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Hasn't this place already determined that if you change your oil every 3k your engine, pathetic design or not, will last that long using ANY oil?
Even with bad PCV design or coking engines, shouldn't you make it to 300k at the 3k interval? I'm headed towards it and I have run a Civic/PP combo, so unless something breaks I know I'll get there.
I think a Saab or Chrysler 2.* V-6 could get there on today's oils, right?
Perhaps I'm wrong.

I have a 1986 Toyota 22R that made 301,000 on 3K OCI. It is still a working truck. It has had synthetic for the last 281,000 miles.

We have a Plymouth Caravan at work with the 3.3L in it, it gets a lot of short runs, and gets started up atleast twice everyday just to move it in and out of the shop. Its got 250,000miles on it using lowly ol' Napa conventional 5w-30. Thing actually sounds pretty tight yet too, no abnormal noises from the bottom end, no smoke. I'm most surprised by the transmission though. Its probably only been serviced once, maybe twice, and its still the original. Pretty good for a fwd chrysler auto if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: afoulk
Pretty good for a fwd chrysler auto if you ask me.

Museum-worthy, actually!

Yeah, I'm hoping the 42rle in my Jeep makes it that long, especially since I installed an aftermarket tranny cooler. I'm not holding my breath though.

I like to see Valvoline put a 300k guarantee on an automatic transmission using Maxlife ATF!! Which oil company will be the first to step up????
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I suspect oil warranties are useless.

BITOG needs to raise funds to purchase a vehicle and test this. It can be passed around from member to member, high or low miles per month/year, and see if we can make it fail/get covered under warranty. I bet it would continue to run due to the maintenance freaks here.

I've seen this, have it where I work, I think I had posted this somewhere but I've got the updated info on it, here you go:
on valvoline conventional 150,000miles
on maxlife or durablend 225,000 miles
on Synpower 300,000 miles
From what I understand it has to be locations that use Valvoline as Bulk oil (or walmart Tire and Lube Express centers) or DIYers can register for it.
You have to be under 75,000 miles at time of registering and you have to log every oil change online. You have to change your oil every 3,000 miles but there is a 1,000 mile grace period.

Supposedly it covers only complete engine failure and not due to coolant issues timing belt issues or problems due to improper service (like double gasketing the oil filter).
The Person does not have to prove it is a oil related failure.

( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...239#Post1463239 )new it was here somewhere

I think this is a good bet for Valvoline and a good advertising..uuh...concept. Look carefully at what it does not cover, the one thing I would be most interested in. It does not cover wear. If your engine does not wear out, it covers oil caused failures for up to 300,000 miles. If your engine wears out, tough.

At my local Walmart, we have Quaker State conventional at $10.00, Mobil Clean 5000 at $11.00, Castrol GTX at $12.00, Pennzoil YB at $12.00, and Valvoline Premium conventional at $13.50. I believe you could use any of these oils, the Fram $3.49 oil filter, change at 3000 miles, and go 150,000 miles IF YOUR ENGINE DOESN'T WEAR OUT.

I have a 2008 pickup truck. It is warranted for 100,000 miles, EXCEPT FOR WEAR AND TEAR.

When I was in college, I had to take a class in economics, had to, didn't really want to. I am now glad that I did. We did an experiment at a local grocery store with permission of the management. We priced one of their produce items at 5 cent each or 3 for a quarter. You would not believe how many people went for the 3 for a quarter. We priced another item at $1.00 each or 3 for $5.00. Virtually no one went for the 3 for $5.00. Somewhere between 5 cents and a dollar, there is an investigation/cutoff point.

Warranted for 300,000 miles if it doesn't wear out. Warranted for 100,000 miles if it doesn't wear out. 5 cents each or 3 for a quarter.

NOTE: at the checkout, we explained to the customers and no one was cheated.

Probably only covers catastrophic failure ( sludge issues etc) wear is normal and probably not covered, so after 200,000 miles and burning a quart every 500 miles would not be covered. Design flaws not covered ( engine prone to sludge etc) basically, unless the oil out of the container was actually water in lieu of oil any claim would be about impossible to prove and collect on. Just a marketing ploy and a way to increase sales at outlets that sell/serivice Valvoline products.

This has been discussed before. It is good for advertisment and not much more. When it comes down to it, its all about selling oil, it will certainly help.

I wonder if anyone on BITOG actually collected on any oil company's warranty? I mean first hand, not heard of someone. If so I'd love the details.

AD

Man I love these marketing departments... Lets come up with a fancy looking bottle with impressive graphics. Add some technical jargon to the back of it and put a 300K Mile guarantee on it so they think "wow this must be a great oil".

smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back