Valvoline to offer 300,000 mile engine guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Plus how many people hold onto there rides for 300K?, not many..

Well, more people might, depending on what type of cars the Federal car companies (formerly GM and Chrysler) come up with.

I kind of like syntec's style. Golf, roadside and a free engine if something goes wrong. hmmmmm

Originally Posted By: daman
Plus how many people hold onto there rides for 300K?, not many..

Pennzoil and Quaker State warranties are transferable. They seem pretty limited but if you are the type who does frequent oil changes anyway, I think they are a good idea.

How would you feel about buying a used car with 60,000 miles that has had fully documented YB oil changes every 3000 to 4000 miles since new? And has a valid transferable oil warranty?

Would you be willing to pay more than say for the same car with an unknown maintenance history?

or better yet. How would you feel if you found the car you love and found that it had been serviced every 5000 miles using synthetic oils. Priceless

I joined up. I'm using Durablend anyway so why not? Will I every get to see the time when my Toyota engine blows up? Not running Durablend every 3k but who knows.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
or better yet. How would you feel if you found the car you love and found that it had been serviced every 5000 miles using synthetic oils. Priceless

+1

If it's true that Valv doesn't cover parts that are worn out, then what good is the warranty? That's as deceptive as 4 ball bench test for engine oil.

Originally Posted By: RTBandit
You guys are really bursting my bubble - I thought I had finally found the Holy Grail of lubrication!

I, too, was disappointed that Valvoline initiated this ad campaign. After reading what's required of the consumer, it struck me solely as a marketing gimmick, and I expected better of the company. In particular, the requirement to change their synthetic motor oil and the oil filter every 3k miles to conform to the terms of the 300k warranty program is absurd.

Most of those warranties are just that a marketing gimmick. It's all about selling oil, and if/when it comes time to pay out rest assured collecting will be no easy task. Yet some people have faith in those warranties, they also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Time to hide.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Most of those warranties are just that a marketing gimmick. It's all about selling oil, and if/when it comes time to pay out rest assured collecting will be no easy task. Yet some people have faith in those warranties, they also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
+1,+2, etcetera, etcetera....Not saying here that they don't make fine products (although the Premium Conv needs to drop in price @ Wally IMO), just don't plan on collecting any cash anytime soon.

As for Santa and the Easter Bunny, they don't offer any cash warranties/guarantees so I'm OK with them.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Most of those warranties are just that a marketing gimmick. It's all about selling oil, and if/when it comes time to pay out rest assured collecting will be no easy task. Yet some people have faith in those warranties, they also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
+1,+2, etcetera, etcetera....Not saying here that they don't make fine products (although the Premium Conv needs to drop in price @ Wally IMO), just don't plan on collecting any cash anytime soon.

As for Santa and the Easter Bunny, they don't offer any cash warranties/guarantees so I'm OK with them.
LOL.gif

LOL Glad you found the humor in my comments! It's all good, I'm not knocking the product either. Seems the more time I spend on BITOG the more I see the oil marketing wars escalate.

As far as Santa and the Easter Bunny..
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
No that's why I hit the edit button and gave
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
to Santa and the Bunny. I had to make sure if any children of BITOG members were reading over dads shoulder they'd know that Santa and the EB exist. But the 300,000 mile warranty was all hype.

I don't think Ashland cares about a select few on BITOG which can see through their marketing gimmick, when they my potentially attract a ton of "Joe-Consumers" with this kind of marketing. I can just see the red-neck forums exploding with "that's good enough for me... shoot!" style comments!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I suspect oil warranties are useless.

I agree, and think that they're virtually 100% marketing/advertising palaver. Two huge problems I see. First, if they decide that they want to mess with you, it will be very hard to win a disputed claim. As noted above, how do you prove you started the program "on time". And then, you'd have to have virtually flawless record keeping, proving strict compliance with their "fine print" requirements. How many folks actually do that on a sustained, long-term basis? Also, the details of such programs are entirely at the whim of the company offering them -- they are subject to none of the strict government oversight that applies to new car warranties.

Second, how many owners actually own vehicles for this long? Surely some do, but realistically, most don't. And they very well know that.

I think it's very, very safe for oil brewers to offer such "programs," secure in the knowledge that their probability of having to actually pay ANY claims at all is virtually zero.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
... I think it's very, very safe for oil brewers to offer such "programs," secure in the knowledge that their probability of having to actually pay ANY claims at all is virtually zero.

Yeah because of their creative legal terms that basically allows Ashland to cover very little if not anything really important at all. The combine this with a great marketing campaign that makes it seem otherwise!
smirk2.gif

Sell the sizzle not the steak, another term I heard a lot from my father. Valvoline and other oil companies are selling the sizzle. What does that mean? NOTHING! But people buy into it, its marketing at its best. I'm sure there are people with stories of a friend of a friend collecting. I'd like to meet a real person and actually shake his/her hand if they ever collected on one of these warranties. My bet is the fine print would make you dizzy, and the legal dept if it ever went that far would finish you off.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back